Integrate Kogan SmarterHome products into HA

Can you still do the tuya convert with the kogan plugs/bunnings ones, or do you have to open them up?

Converted two brilliant plugs (Bunnings) last week using tuya - no issues.

tuya connect or opening them up?

Tuya convert OTA :smiley:

Tuya convert working with Kogan bulbs with new firmware, details in this issue (ignore the title):

Small edit to one of the files currently needed, but works great, just flashed 4 of their white / color temp bulbs.

Do you happen to have a working template for the RGB bulb? I got it almost all sorted a couple of months ago, but couldnā€™t figure out the Cool/Warm channel properly.

Started to think there was only a warm channel, so gave up.

I think youā€™re right and there is only one 1 white channel.
The only white light Iā€™ve seen them is warm white and cold but very dim coming from the rgb channel - I donā€™t think a usable temerature spectrum is possibible.

Thatā€™s the same result I got. Bugger. Pure white looked to be about 5% brightness.

I have got the Kogan SmarterHome kettle flashed and working on Tasmota with tuya-convert if anyone is interested. I can power it on and off with web UI. I know how to manipulate keep warm settings with commands (requires latest development version) and i can see the current temp in hex (i havenā€™t figured out how to put this into useful sensor infomation via Tasmota without writing a rule for every degree 1-100ā€¦)

Oddā€¦ why does it show hex? What does the sensor look like in the tasmota console? I wonder if you need to set unit of measurement in there. My BME temp sensor is in Ā°C.

its with TuyaMCU so it spits:
MQT: Kogan/tele/RESULT = {ā€œTuyaMcuReceivedā€:ā€œ55AA00070008050200040000002942ā€}
ā€˜0029ā€™ being the current temp in hex.
I guess the issue is there is no ā€˜fnIdā€™ component that parses the hex into a temperature sensor or at least just exposes the last ā€˜function commandā€™ from command and status frames from selected dpIDs so they could be displayed in main web UI as a useable number/value etc.

would be interested in the config if you have it

itā€™s literally the default TuyaMCU module.
{ā€œNAMEā€:ā€œKogan Kettleā€,ā€œGPIOā€:[255,148,255,108,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255,255],ā€œFLAGā€:15,ā€œBASEā€:54}

1 Like

Hi all,

Im very new to HA, and have these plugs. Im looking to do more comprehensive tracking and reporting of power usage per outlet and found out that i can only see that data in the Tuya app.

So im cosidering flashing ESPHome to these plugs. Does anyone have a good dashboard showing current usage as well as power trends or usage over week etc?

This is a graph of the power usage of one of my Kogan plugs flashed with ESPhome

thanks Dave. Which process did you follow to flash ESPHome?

Tuya-convert. I didnā€™t ever have them connected to anything else. It was literally: open box, plug in to power, flash ESPhome onto them. I put the code for them here.

Thanks to the trail blazers for figuring these things out, especially @bevancoleman for publishing the Kogan Energy monitoring plugs Tasmota template!

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen how to do the last step and add these devices in Home Assistant configuration.
Is there an easy way to do this (like my one-step WeMo power monitoring switch), or do we need to setup separate switches and many separate sensors with platform: mqtt like the tasmota docs:

https://tasmota.github.io/docs/#/integrations/Home-Assistant?id=power-monitoring
(Is this link broken for anyone else? I pasted in a working link with / that get replaced by %2F etc.)

sensor:
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "Energy Today"
    state_topic: "tele/tasmota/SENSOR"
    value_template: '{{ value_json["ENERGY"]["Today"] }}'
    unit_of_measurement: "kWh"
  - platform: mqtt
    name: "Power"
    state_topic: "tele/tasmota/SENSOR"
    value_template: '{{ value_json["ENERGY"]["Power"] }}'
    unit_of_measurement: "W"

Thanks in advance!

I am just using the sensor.yaml file with a new mqtt platform for each of my kogan meters.

I am also not sure of a simpler way.

the simpler way is to use the HA ESPhome API rather than MQTT

1 Like