Integrating Becker Motors in to Hassio

Please share your configuration.
What is that night zone virtual cover? Is that an additional remote for all covers? In this case you simply need to add the Remote ID of that night zone remote to each cover in your config (as in the example above).
Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see the need for that virtual cover in home assistant.
Except you want to use a virtual cover with channel 15, as this will control all covers with the same unit. Is that what you are intended?
And yes, this would not be fully supported (as it’s also not mentioned in the documentation).

yes, I paired 5 shutters (1:2 to 1:5) and created a 6th device (1:6) to global open/close (maybe it’s the ch.15 I don’t know).
In each shutter I placed remote_id: “12345:1, 12345F” (where 12345F is the code collected in debug mode from the remote).

covers:
      cucina:
        friendly_name: "Cucina"
        channel: "1:4"
        remote_id: "561BB:4, 561BBF"
        travelling_time_up: 19
        travelling_time_down: 19 

soggiorno_tv:
        friendly_name: "Soggiorno TV"
        channel: "1:1"
        remote_id: "561BB:1, 561BBF"
        travelling_time_up: 27
        travelling_time_down: 27

soggiorno_centrale:
        friendly_name: "Soggiorno Centro"
        channel: "1:2"
        remote_id: "561BB:2, 561BBF"

soggiorno_piante:
        friendly_name: "Soggiorno Piante"
        channel: "1:3"
        remote_id: "561BB:3, 561BBF"

lavanderia:
        friendly_name: "lavanderia"
        channel: "1:5"
        remote_id: "561BB:4, 561BBF"
        travelling_time_up: 19
        travelling_time_down: 19

### virtual cover to open/close all shutters together ####  
      zona_giorno:
        friendly_name: "Zona Giorno"
        channel: "1:6"
        remote_id: "561BBF"

Sorry this is my first post here, I don’t know how to correctly post the code.

I don’t have the right feedback only when I use my 6th “global/virtual” cover event if each shutter moves correctly. If I use the becker remote, each shutter status is working fine.

Got it.

Just one comment. You can remove remote ID 561BBF from you config, as this is the “all channels” of your remote and is added automatically. Except for you virtual cover. Btw. shouldn’t the all channels remote ID be 561BB:F ?

Becker covers don’t send their status to Home Assistant. Therefore the Becker integration has to imitate the movement of your cover. That’s why travelling_time and remote_id are required to imitate this as good as possible.

You could use channel 1:15 for your virtual cover, as this is “all channels” for unit 1.
Pairing additional channels like you did with channel 1:6 is not needed.

Nevertheless imitating the movement of a cover controlled by two different channels out of Home Assistant is not supported so far.

You could also try with cover group, but this seems to be not ideal als well, as discussed here: Cover groups

Double remote code in each shutter was a test to check if were possible to solve the position issue but it didn’t work.

561BBF is the exact code collected in debug string. All other codes are as standard with colons… this one is different so I thought to write it as read.
Actually I have 14 shutters divided by 3 groups (night zone, day zone, upper floor) so I was trying to fix at least for a group and then replicate the solution to all the other zones (I have a remote per each zone). I made:
day zone → 1:1 to 1:5 + 1:6 for all shutters
night zone → 2:1 to 2:5 + 2:6 for all shuttes
upper floor → 3:1 to 3:4 + 3:6 for all shutters

I’m thinking to create an automation to force/update the position value of all shutters in a single group when I use the “all channels” virtual cover. something like "if global position value changes (as trigger) after xx seconds (put the slowest shutter)… set cover.shutter_1.position = cover.shutter_global.position
Do you think could work?

It should not be a big issue to update the Becker integration on a rainy day at one of the next weekends.

What you could do, is to use a template cover Template Cover - Home Assistant which uses your virtual shutter to send the open, close, stop commands and use the mean value of all covers in a group for the position (or whatever calculation is useful for you).
Then use this cover instead of your virtual cover in your Dashboard.

Thanks for your friendliness and for the advice, now I’m trying to understand the guide about Template cover and write down some code. I have also to fix a couple of wrong paired channels (1:1 move 1:1 2:1 3:1 :sweat_smile: )… in becker.py (row 229) there is code to call pair service… can we add a remove service to call the REMOVE command?

Ciao, Lucio

[UPDATE] - the code inspired from the documentation worked fine, I had only to put a little delay between every single shutter call because some of them didn’t react the commands when “fired” together.

script:
  #### SCRIPT CALLED BY TEMPLATE COVER ####
  #####       OPEN, CLOSE, STOP     #######
  cover_group_day: 
    sequence:
      - service: "cover.{{modus}}_cover"
        target:
          entity_id:
            - cover.soggiorno_tv          # 1:1
      - delay: 0.5  ## WAIT
      - service: "cover.{{modus}}_cover"
        target:
          entity_id:
            - cover.soggiorno_centro      # 1:2
      - delay: 0.5

Hey guys, I also found a becker roller shutter motor in my home and I would like to add it to my HA. I am planning to purchase a centronic stick but I have a question. The machine where HA is running (pi 3B+) is inside a wardrobe in the living room and the shutter I need to control is in the bedroom, so I am not sure the key is gonna reach it. If that’s the case, is there a way to remotely install the key (sort of wi-fi usb hub?) and link it to HA or I’d be stuck with a useless centronic key?

Hi,
Use an about 1m USB cable to connect the Becker Centronic to your Pi and place the Stick away from the Pi. This will help to avoid interference between your Pi and the Stick and helps to increase range.
If this is not sufficient, there are other options as well:
The Becker integration opens the serial port using the pySerial serial_for_url handler. Therefore connections e.g. over a TCP/IP socket are supported as well.

1 Like

Hi RainerS I’m back… I would like to ask you some tips on how to try to discover why the integration has recently stopped working without a warning/info. Usb stick seems to be correctly connected to the system. No errors are shown in the debug logs, it seems working correctly but no events are received when a Becker remote is used. If I click on open/close buttons inside Home Assistant, I can read log events row… but no shutter moves. I removed and installed back again the integration without a positive solution.
What could it be? Thanks in advance, Lucio

RainerS thanks for your integration.
I made a bit of a mess having 3 remote controls.

Now from HA 1:1 opens 2:1 and 3:1
Is there a way to delete the acquisitions made on the usb?

Thank You
Roberto

Hi Roberto,
Unfortunately it’s not yet possible to remove controls from HA. But you can use your master remote to remove all additional remotes including the controls from the USB stick. After that you can pair the USB stick again.
Rainer

Hi Lucio,
It could be the following reasons:

• interference with other devices. Use a ~1m USB extension cable and place the USB stick away from other RF devices and your HA server.
  • counter out of sync. Press 10 times the stop key in HA for each cover.
  • reboot your entire HA server/system. If you are running on docker or virtual machine reboot the host system as well. I guess/hope this will help. I also had similar issues as well as others in this chat and reboot solved them.

Rainer

I hope it will be useful to someone sooner or later

My remotes are all 3 masters
If you have memorized commands incorrectly, there is a procedure for resetting each shutter motor

for each remote control:

1. keep the programming key pressed until it clicks
  2. repeat point 1
  3. keep the programming key pressed until the clack (be careful because the third time it takes longer)

Once this is done, reassociate by evoking the beker.pair service

Does anyone have recommendations where to buy the stick?
is it possible to use USB-3 Port for the Stick?

I would like to control my shade with it. Is the communication bidirectional, i.e. do you receive messages about the position of the shade?

Yes, it work on USB3 ports as well, as USB3 ports are backwards compatible and supports USB1 and USB3 devices.
The Becker integration does not support bidirectional communication. But there are other ways to track the position in HA properly.
Please see the readme for more information: Becker

Hey everyone,

I have successfully paired my covers with the remote and my stick is receiving status updates of the covers/the master remote.

In my opinion I have also successfully paired my centronics stick with the shutters, according to the instructions: I put the shutter in pairing mode with the master remote, run the pair.becker service and hear the 3x clacking sound.

However, I cannot control the shutters from within homeassistant and I cannot figure out why. When I try to control the entities, the animation starts but the shutters don’t do anything.

One more piece of information, in case it helps: I just added the last shutter to the config, rebootet HomeAssistant and the entity does not show up within homeassistant. The two where I changed the channel, however, do.

Can anyone help me figure this out? I can gladly post logs or anything that helps. Thank you!!

Hi @bimmerfriend,

I do have the same issue. My setup consists of six centronic v1 radio receivers, home assistant and the centronic usb stick.
I am about to add two more windows / motors and would like to buy the newest version centronic plus motors. I guess this would be reasonable t, as the old motors may also not work forever.

Did you try to add a centronic plus motor into your current setup with the standard centronic usb stick and home assistant? If so, did it work (without the new plus features)?

Thanks

@RainerS

Additionally to my problem above, I noticed, that I have an error message in my “my-centronic” config file:

‘utf-8’ codec can’t decode byte 0xea in position 99: invalid continuation byte

I am assuming those two might be related.