Integration to Zimi / Powermesh

Update: Massive performance improvements made. The integration is fast and stable now, it is also state aware of external activity (app / physical switch).

Good news is that we are moving onto documentation as many of the outstanding items are not blockers and can be ticked off as minor updates. I’m getting close to deploying it in my main instance of HA. Won’t be too much longer before it can be released for further testing and feedback…

2 Likes

Awesome! Congrats to the two of you.

Congrats on the work, Looking forward to release :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Incredible work mate, I was just in the phone to a support rep about weird inconsistent set up issues which sorted themselves out with a new account. Also just emailed the developers asking for API information to get to work on a HomeAssistant integration and eventually HomeBridge for my more simplistic household. Excited to see the results as I’d love to get working on a HomeBridge plugin from your work!

How are we looking 11 days in for release :joy:

All,

Our intention is to release an Beta version to interested people this week. The purpose of this release is to get more feedback and test a variety of environments to help build towards a v1 release.

This initial release will be by way of a public repository, it is suggested to install this via HACS:

If you are self-managing your install you could manually add to your custom_components/ directory.

A few things to note:

• It is strongly suggested that you trial the integration in a test environment, if you don’t have one setting up a Development Environment is easy - Set up Development Environment | Home Assistant Developer Docs

• We are aware that there is an API update in the works, this may (or may not) break the integration, we will address issues as they become evident

Supported devices

There is currently support for the following device types within Home Assistant:

• Light (Multi Purpose Switch)

• Dimmer (Dimmable Light Switch)

• Switch (Power Point)

• Cover (Garage Door Controller)

ControlPoints

A Zimi Powermesh is made up of a number of ControlPoints. A ControlPoint is an individually controllable output on a Zimi Powermesh device. One device can have up to 4 ControlPoints (in the case of a 4 point Multi Purpose Switch).

ControlPoints are assigned to a Room and given a Name via the Zimi App.

Behaviour Link can be used in the Zimi App to link an unused ControlPoint to another ControlPoint allowing multiple physical switching points for the same endpoint (light).

Naming

Entities will be created in Home Assistant based naming in the Zimi App. Some consideration should be given to establishing a structured naming scheme in the Zimi App prior to discovery for a cleaner and more manageable experience in Home Assistant.

• Entities will be placed in a Home Assistant Area base on the Room Name in the Zimi App. If the Area does not exist it will be created.

• Entity name in Home Assistant will be the ControlPoint Name in the Zimi App

• Entity ID in Home Assistant will be type.name (i.e. switch.downlights)

If the same name is given to multiple ControlPoints a numeric will automatically be appended during the creation of the Entity. For example, if Downlights is used in the Zimi App to identify similar devices in multiple rooms the Entity ID(s) in Home Assistant would be:

• light.downlights

• light.downlights_2

• light.downlights_3

Each of these Entities be uniquely identifiable via it’s Area assignment.

Automatic setup via UDP discovery

The integration can attempt to discover a ZCC device on the local network if the user does not enter data into the IP Address and Port fields. If a ZCC is discovered, the IP address and port will be used to interrogate the ZCC to identify all ControlPoints. This data includes Properties, States and Actions which is used to create an Entities within Home Assistant.

Manual setup via IP and Port

If the automatic discovery is unsuccessful the user can enter a known IP Address and Port during configuration. The IP will need to be ascertained by the user via their respective network, the default port is 5003.

Note: this feature has been added to address a scenario where more than one ZCC exist on the network (untested).

Zimi Network Updates

Changes in the Zimi network (naming and addition of devices) can be picked up by doing a Reload of the integration.

Compatibility

Integration has been tested on: ZCC Firmware version 20210714010012

This can be checked in the Zimi App check under: Settings → Manage Network → Cloud Connect

Known issues

• The initial creation of Entities within Home Assistant can be slow for meshes with a high ControlPoint count

• Occasionally the UI may become out of sync if user inputs rapid change of states - UI should recover to correct state

• Garage Door Controller does not accept 0 via the UI slider, can be closed via down action

• Switch (Power Point) icons do not update status, this can be resolved by adding state_color: true to the entity card

• If unexpected behaviour is observed try power cycling the ZCC

1 Like

My hacs is ready :grinning: Been in bed sick for the last week so this will give me something to play with

Fantastic!

My ZCC is arriving by courier today I think. Do you know whether the firmware version is one that is an automatic upgrade? I remember earlier on there was a need to request a new firmware be provided:

I suppose I’ll know the answer myself when I get a chance to test myself.

im keen to try this out, I have the fan controller, power points, light switches :slight_smile:

Just a quick update, we are working very closely with the core Zimi dev team now. There are some cool updates to the API that we can take advantage of however this means the current alpha version we were about to release likely won’t work for many. I’ll give an update on status soon.

3 Likes

That is such a good thing to hear. I hope they stay with you, unlike others (looking at you Tuya).

1 Like

Happy to run beta version on Zimi box if we need lol

I’ve just plugged in and connected my ZCC for the first time. It looks like it updates its own firmware? I couldn’t find how to in the app, but it says it’s running 20220110010011. I guess that’s Jan 10th 2022.

Haven’t done anything else yet, oh apart from apparently bricking the garage door controller by initiating a firmware update on that device! Emailed the zimi support line.

I have no idea how to update the firmware. That is probably a question for Trader tech support.

Believe you request a beta firmware from zimi and pass along the mac of the device an they send it thru

Actually, I think recall them telling me exactly that now that you mention it.

Just had 30 devices installed so am 100% fully ready to play when its ready :slight_smile:

Hi all,

Apologies for the sporadic updates, just jobs / life / fun +zimi make for busy times. Don’t confuse lack of updates with lack of progress.

Had a good meeting with the zimi team last week and are in regular contact - they have been very supportive. We decided to get the previous version to a “final” state before upgrading the code to the 1.2 firmware everyone is on. This was good as we were able to squeeze even more performance out of it. Except for the occasional hiccup, which we need more data to trace, I am pretty sure you will be pleased with performance now.

We moved to 1.2 last night and have already established the comms via the new API model. There are a few more hours of work to get everything functioning under this change (plus thinking and testing time) but we are really pushing to get a alpha release out ASAP. We just need to balance getting some out for you that is usable and you can help refine verses a hot mess that will annoy people.

The even better news is that the Zimi team have already implemented some of our feedback and more has been put in the pipeline.

I’ll update after the weekend.

2 Likes

As I understand it everyone should automatically have been pushed the 20220110010011 version. The exception may be if you were one of the few who reached out early to get the first beta. If you are not on 20220110010011 just email the support team with a picture of the back of your ZCC and they will push the new version (and subsequent updates) over the air.

1 Like

I have found the garage door to be one of the naughtier devices. I had to update the control module via the phone app and rest button, failed a few times before I got it to stick but has been ok for a few months now.

If it fails again I’ll investigate a bit further.