Intermittent behaviour of ONE specific automation

This has been driving me nuts. There is one automation that every so often completely stops working and I can’t figure out what’s up.

I have an automation to turn off all devices before leaving the house or going to bed. There are no conditions and several triggers mapped: a physical button, an mqtt event, an action button on my dashboard and an automation triggers the intermittent automation when all users are away.

The problem. It works fine for most of the time. Except when it doesn’t. The automation just will not run. Not through any of the triggers, not through the action button and not even by manually triggering the automation from the settings menu.

The logbook is where it gets weird. The trigger events all register. But the automation itself doesn’t even get logged, not in any case. It does seem to break more often when I spammed the controls but sometimes it is robust as can be and other times I can’t event trigger it once.

I’m at a loss. :cry:

Any help is GREATLY appreciated

Take a look at the trace in the automation next time it stops working, should give you a clue on where it’s stopping.

1 Like

Gosh darn. We have a lead!

Thanks I didn’t think the traces would show different/more info than the logs would. This is great even though I have yet to learn about the feature that seems to be the culprit.

1 Like

post your automation so we can take a look.

1 Like

And I’ve already found it in this thread Action of automation skips some parts sometimes - #5 by 123

There is a 15 min delay in my automation so that is what was blocking the repeated trigger. Since then I have a motion sensing automation on the lights that I wanted to turn off by the delay so I just ditched the delay and the trigger is super solid (for now…). It would have been good of these messages would show up in the logs though. Oh well. Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction!