Intro and Help

Hello!

Intro
Big DIY guy here, looking forward to getting into HA and automating the house to run on Siri as much as possible. I came by HA by way of Konnected, which I have working right now with ST but as an iOS house, it just needs to go. We have so many items already in HomeKit, not having the alarm system in home kit, and a few z-wave switches, seems odd. I bought a used 2010 Mac mini to use as a HTPC and to run HA with a Z-Wave adapter. I can’t get to that point though, I cannot get the UI to load. See below…

Help
System: Mac mini OSX 10.13.6
Python: 3.7.1
HASS: 0.82.1
Command: Hass --open-ui
Error: 2018-11-18 10:30:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Loaded hassio from homeassistant.components.hassio
2018-11-18 10:30:22 INFO (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.updater] Submitted analytics to Home Assistant servers. Information submitted includes {‘arch’: ‘x86_64’, ‘dev’: False, ‘docker’: False, ‘os_name’: ‘Darwin’, ‘python_version’: ‘3.7.1’, ‘timezone’: ‘UTC’, ‘version’: ‘0.82.1’, ‘virtualenv’: False, ‘hassio’: False, ‘os_version’: ‘10.13.6’, ‘huuid’: ‘357d70ce516f4afe96cad1aa9a7ab01f’}
2018-11-18 10:30:22 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.updater] Got unexpected response: None
Notes: UI does not open, hangs at the error above.
Steps Taken so far: I installed python and then home assistant, I used the youtube video describing how to install everything on a mac but when the video goes to the UI opening, my UI never opens.
Disclaimer: Although I am a DIY guy, I am certainly a noob… Flame suit up! If I have posted in the wrong forum or with the wrong info, please excuse me. I am looking forward to learning HA and hope to add to this forum in return for help received in the future.

I thought hass.io was for pi only not mac.

I use this on ios

Hassio is hassio. If home assistant is not running in hassio, you can’t load the hassio component because it isn’t running hassio.

Hassio is essentially 2 docker containers one is home assistant and one is a supervisor that manages the docker containers for home assistant and add-ons.

You can install hassio directly on a pi, via hassos, or onto a Linux box running docker. It isn’t “just for pi”

The OP needs to remove the hassio component from his config and restart.

1 Like

RobDYI,

The link you provided is the link I used to install on macOS, at about 1:55 in the youtube video the command “hass --open-ui” is used which opens the UI. This is where I am hanging up in my setup.

flamingm0e,

Thank you for your response. I hate to be that guy, but where would I find my configuration file? Yeah, I’m that much of a noob… Love your screen name BTW.

In your configuration folder.

1 Like

Probably in your user directory under the hidden directory.homeassistant

1 Like

Thanks for the help!

I removed this section from the configuration.yaml file:

Checks for available updates

Note: This component will send some information about your system to

the developers to assist with development of Home Assistant.

For more information, please see:

https://home-assistant.io/blog/2016/10/25/explaining-the-updater/

updater:

Optional, allows Home Assistant developers to focus on popular components.

include_used_components: true

I restarted Terminal, no luck, restarted the computer, no luck…

I did not find anything referring to “hassio” in the configuration. Now the terminal just stops after it has auto-detected all of my devices. The UI does not load.

Thanks in advance for any help, should I just copy and paste everything from terminal?

So many roadblocks, I’m not sure why the UI will not (or would not) load automatically. After trying so many different things I came across info about using the machine’s ip address plus :8123 to open the UI. This worked! I’m finally in!

If your router doesn’t support mDNS, then you’ll have to use the IP address of your Pi instead of hassio.local . For example, http://192.168.0.9:8123 . You should be able to find the IP address of your Pi from the admin interface of your router.

1 Like