Introducing Hass.io

Im not able to update to 0.48 from 0.47.1. No update button in hass.io?

All earlier version have been no problem.I even got notification a new version is available.

1 Like

Same issue here

the hyper visor will check this file https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio/blob/master/version.json
for versions information and show an update button if the version on the file is different than the local.

some one has forgot to update the file :stuck_out_tongue: @pvizeli

1 Like

0.48 is not being built yet.

Yes we had a small issue on build server to build 0.48 now it should be available

1 Like

You need manually make a new version available? I see 0.48.1 is out now but no update for Hass.io yet.

Some updates ago some of the hass.io icons did get invisible. Like the available add ons icon and back icon when on a add on. The place where the icon was is still working just no icon.
Issue or only issue on my hass.io install?

1 Like

Been having the excat same problem only that the restarting services randomly did not get mine to start

1 Like

I noticed it on my regular HA install as well, icons from my device tracker are not being shown, unless I explicitly specified which ones to useā€¦

Hello @ciotlosm,

Thanks for putting this together, but I donā€™t seem to be able to access mine as I am getting server key issues. The only reason I wanted to access it, was so I can access the rest switch script in the components folder ā€œrest.pyā€ as some modification has to be done to it, for the switch to show up as u may know.

Unless you could tell me what I may be doing wrong, as u mentioned earlier I think I will just revert back to Hassbain pending when they can make this easier to use. Out side the issue with the rest switch, for basic users like myself I think its alright.

Kind regards

Iā€™m having trouble. I added a custom component (light/tplink) but I canā€™t figure out how to change any of the components files

Install samba addon and open config. Inside this folder you can make a new folder called: custom_component. Add all your custom stuff inside this folder and your are happy with all updates donā€™t break it.

After switching to hass.io from Hassbian, bluetooth tracker stopped working. Hass v0.50 on RPi2 + Raspberry-approved dongle (CSR4.0).

2017-07-30 19:48:15 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.device_tracker] Error setting up platform bluetooth_tracker Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/device_tracker/__init__.py", line 160, in async_setup_platform disc_info) File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py", line 331, in __iter__ yield self # This tells Task to wait for completion. File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/tasks.py", line 244, in _wakeup future.result() File "/usr/lib/python3.6/asyncio/futures.py", line 244, in result raise self._exception File "/usr/lib/python3.6/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 55, in run result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs) File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/device_tracker/bluetooth_tracker.py", line 64, in setup_scanner for dev in discover_devices(): File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/homeassistant/components/device_tracker/bluetooth_tracker.py", line 42, in discover_devices lookup_class=False) File "/usr/lib/python3.6/site-packages/bluetooth/bluez.py", line 26, in discover_devices device_id = _bt.hci_get_route() OSError: [Errno 19] No such device

Any ideas on whatā€™s going on/how to diagnose it?

UPDATE: tried two different dongles in different ports on RPi - the same result.

Hello @Dennis87, Iā€™m new to Home Assistant and to Hass-io, and finding my way with it. I like the overview screen you showed - how could I set this up, please?

Hi, Iā€™ve seen that custom_components can be added to hass.io but Iā€™ve tried adding the ā€˜Hiveā€™ component and it doesnā€™t recognise it. Do you know if this component is going to be added at some point please? Iā€™m just trying to decide whether to go through the debugging process or just wait until smarter people get it working properly. Thanks all.

Hi, does someone know where i can download prefious versions of the resinos images, looking for 0.52.1 , i got 0.53.1
but that does not support (bug) Homematic varriabels, so all my automations do not work anymore.

(why did i updated, good question)

Thx

Hello.
All Iā€™m going to write is only my personal opinion and Iā€™m sure I just doing something wrong, butā€¦ what the mess is hass.io (resin.io)?!
I really canā€™t understand how to use it. Ok, I flashed SD card with Hass.io image. Ok, I added authorized_keys (and it was not obvious, because I need to insert card to another machine to do it). And what? I need hostapd, dnsmask, tmux for my setup. But I canā€™t install them. I actually canā€™t install anything, there is no packet manager, no git, nothing.
I read that somehow I can push git repoā€™s to Resin, but it could be done from dashboard which needs to be connected to my RPi somehow (as I understood - I need to download specially prepared Resin image, without home assistant) and there is no way to do it locally, I need to grant RPi access to internet and Resin serversā€¦ Really? Is all these stuff really needed? I totally sure that it is wrong way. Developerā€™s goal was to get rid of many software packages (for me it is Raspbian + python + home assistant + hostapd + dnsmasq + MQTT + npm), but for my opinion Resin with all its layers of Docker, read-only fs, non-accessible root partition is much more complex. I canā€™t see OS as something useful if I canā€™t even install app in it.
Maybe Iā€™m doing everything wrong and Resin is simple and fun, but I still didnā€™t find any way or guide which makes me sure that it is simple and fun.

@imisanthrope I started with Home-Automation by installing my own OS and then installing all the things I needed to get HA running. This was after previous experience using Homebridge on my Pi. But as much as I enjoy dabbling with it, what I really wanted to focus on was getting home devices connected in a way I could control them, and I was spending too much time trying to keep up with all the updates and technical details of just running the OS. Thatā€™s why I like Hass.io. I, so far, have been able to do all the automation stuff I want, and I donā€™t have to manage the OS. I realize, in many respects, Iā€™ve sacrificed control and flexibility for an appliance, but Iā€™ve also made much faster progress in getting my HA instance up and running and doing things for me.

I totally understand your frustration with Hass.io, and it may not be your best install option. I think the documentation across the HA site needs to continue to evolve to make clear where the distinctions are with the various installation options (its too easy to get stuck trying to do something Hass.io doesnā€™t support, or that only works with certain ways of installing HA). But so far, Hass.io has been a great foundation, and allowed me to focus in other areas. Maybe one day Iā€™ll ā€œout growā€ Hass.io, but so far, its growing in capabilities faster than I need.

1 Like

BTW you can install hassio on a full OS like ubuntu server to enable you SSH in and to run dns etc, as well as much more. Plus with a full OS install you can also use docker to install whatever you like even if itā€™s not a hassio addon.

Even on hassio image install there are hassio plugins for a lot of daemon services:

• Mosquitto MQTT broker
  • DHCP server
  • Dnsmasq
    etc

You can even install custom component on hass via install in /config/custom_components (just like with standard non-hassio docker install)
The one thing that hassio does not facilitate is complete customisation of HASS.
Which I prefer to call hacking :wink:

1 Like

Sounds like best of both worlds option.

Maybe its out there some where, but seems like a better compare/contrast of all the installation options, including details like what you laid out, is needed at the point where youā€™re making that decision. Took me a long time to understand what Hass.io was, and why I might want it.