Introducing Home Assistant Green: Your entry to Home Assistant

We talked to current and potential users of Home Assistant and found that there is a demand for an easy-to-use and official device to get started.

And these users are not newbies to smart homes, quite many of them are engineers and they really just want a no-fuss solution.

7 Likes

I’m an electrical engineer have been a Debian developer for 10 years and currently run Home Assistant on Linux, Odroid N2+, Blue and Yellow.

I have ordered a Home Assistant Green as I want rock solid hardware and software platform that’s preconfigured so I can get on with the ‘exciting’ stuff of automating my household and home energy management system.

Standing on the shoulders of giants

6 Likes

Gotta say the lack of a AU/NZ power supply is a bummer. One more clip on plug prong would have been good.

Yes! We simplify the mundane parts of the setup so that you can focus on the important aspects of your smart home. :smiley:

We create a smart home because we want to monitor and automate our home, not because we want to set up more things. (Sure, some people just want to tinker stuff… :wink: )

2 Likes

Like with so much else incl HA itself, you get out of Wi-Fi what you’ve put into it. It used to be that buying a Wi-Fi box aka “router” (really router - firewall - access point - switch in a single box) was sufficient, but nowadays the spectrum is so congested one needs proper network features, performance, and visibility into what’s going on, to have a solid network. I.e. an SDN, software defined network. TP-Link Omada has been working out quite well for me in multiple installations.

1 Like

+1 and add to that some simple to use mesh networking Wi-Fi system like example Google Nest WiFi do not allow to set a static WiFi channel per access point so the AP closest to your Home Assist could at any time to a WiFi channel that will interfere with Zigbee and Thead if using Home Assistant SkyConnect or other IoT radios

So I have a Pi4 running HA from SD card and work like to move to a more reliable storage device long term, eg SSD or eMMC.

How would the Green be performance wise vs my Pi, faster, slower, about the same ?

The cpu would be a bit slower but the it’s still probably going to be snappier because the sd card in the pi is likely the limiting factor

1 Like

Green has arrived in Australia!

Plugged in, unfortunately as specified no AU socket, only US, UK and EU. US → AU transformation with pliers.

5 minutes later:

Unfortunately it wont let me Suggest (strong) password using chrome ;-(

A few more dialogs, location, data reporting and now the fun begins:

2 Likes

Got mine a couple of weeks ago in NZ :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is exactly for people like me. I worked with computer software systems for many years when I worked, and I can do these things - I have HA up and running and an Open System Monitor system. BUT - it was an (interesting) challenge to get it all working. Many people don’t have the time and inclination to dig in too far. I think this is a great development and I have two on order …

3 Likes

With the new Green box is it sensible to run an mqtt broker on the box itself? I’m hoping so, as so many things in HA seem to want mqtt, and as the Green is a standalone appliance it would be a shame to have to rely on another bit of kit, too.

Hi,
I am quite new on HA comunity. am planning to buy a HA green but I wonder if wifi devices connected to main wifi router will be seen by HA Green or whether i need to install a dedicated wifi antena. Thanks in advance for your help.

Sure will.

1 Like

Hello all, i am new here and also with Home Assistant. I was told Home Assistant Green is for beginners, but reading what is above, I am not convinced…

My goal is to integrate devices from Somfy, Tuya, Eufy, Ajax and maybe Tydom in order to reduce the number of apps on my smartphone. Possible for a beginner or dream?
Any advice is welcome even to start with a forum for real beginners :+1::smile:

I suppose it all depends on one’s background experiences with computers and such.

I started with Hue and HomeKit several years ago. I hated the Hue app from the start, but I had HK to control the devices and it was OK. Cut to a year ago, and I gave Hubitat Elevation a whirl. That introduced issues that could arise with devices, signals, and such. But it also revealed a level of intimacy and control of the home and its devices. Two weeks ago I had trouble with integrating HE’s introduction of Matter to get to the Nests, but I got it sorted. IRONICALLY, I had ordered a HA Green earlier on, for wants with the Nests that HE didn’t yet offer. The day after sorting Matter with HE, the HA Green arrived.

So, that was a week ago. I have just about all the automations it took me a year to learn/resolve/implement and refine in HE set up in HA today. Plus a button to start up the F150 when it’s cold. What? [chuckle]

It was a bit overwhelming, as HE doesn’t reveal everything like HA does, but it’s friendlier to automate. I’m sure I’d have had a harder time w/o the HE experience under my belt. Terminology had me going with HA initially, but like I said I’m sorted and quite pleased. Still have a ways to go to grok all I can do with it, but dang I’m jazzed. HA on it’s own in the first two day “found” implementations I didn’t know existed.

I heard as many negatives about HA as I have kudos, so was leery of it. When I went to HE, it was because it looked friendlier than the HA Yellow, and cheaper to boot. I’ve gotten a lot done w/o having to get into YAML. I used to dabble years ago, but that intimidates me now. The UI integration of HA Green I suppose is so much more developed than ever, which made it ready for ME right out of the box.

Anyways, that’s what I reflected upon with your own wonderings about HA Green. Good luck with your ventures in this regard. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Somfy Somfy - Home Assistant

Search for the other brands. If they are supported, you’ll find the answer by searching.

I started my journey into the home automation space in 2018 with the Wink until my aggravation with constant loss of function with major issues with stability of my internet. I found and purchased a Hubitat Elevation C5. I thought I had found the sweetest platform, I upgraded to a C8 back in the summer in hopes of dealing with signal issues and stability issues with my Zigbee devices. I’m very frustrated I had been watching the HA space for a few years now and I took the bite and purchased a Green in the week before Christmas. It is expected to arrive on Thursday. I’m excited about seeing the things I’ve been reading in person. :crossed_fingers: it is something I love working with.

1 Like

welcome aboard :slight_smile:

1 Like

Couldn’t find anywhere else to post this, so here goes…

Anyone else found their Green is burning through the eMMC lifetime really quickly? I ran mine for about a month, it’s saying 10% eMMC life is used. That gives the unit less than a year life. I have nothing much happening on the box, I don’t have energy monitoring or anything that would cause heavy database use.

It would be GREAT if the SD card could be used as the data drive.