Introducing Home Assistant Green: Your entry to Home Assistant

Back in 2021, we launched a crowdfunding campaign for Home Assistant Yellow. Home Assistant Yellow was our take on what a smart home hub should look like, with all the features we enthusiasts want. We’re very proud of Home Assistant Yellow, but at the same time, it has become clear that people just starting their smart home journey don’t need all the features Yellow offers. With the global component shortages making the required Compute Module 4 more expensive and harder to find, Home Assistant Yellow is no longer a good fit for beginners.

We’ve taken that to heart, and today, we are introducing an affordable way for new users to upgrade their smart homes to Home Assistant. It’s the Home Assistant Green – and it costs only $99 (MSRP).

Home Assistant Green contains everything you need for Home Assistant in one box. Just plug the included power and network cables into the hub, and you’ll be up and running. Home Assistant Green will then automatically install the latest version of Home Assistant, the app (mobile or web) will guide you through the setup process, and it will detect your smart devices immediately. This is the easiest way to start using Home Assistant, and it is perfect for you or your friends and family who want to take their first step in home automation.

Home Assistant Green alongside Home Assistant Yellow and Home Assistant Blue

On the inside, Home Assistant Green runs on a powerful 1.8 GHz quad-core CPU. Memory and storage are amply provided with 4 GB of RAM and 32 GB of eMMC, more than enough to keep you running Home Assistant on the device for a long time. When your smart home grows, you can use Home Assistant SkyConnect to add Zigbee and Matter support or one of many third-party USB devices available to expand Home Assistant Green with other smart standards like Z-Wave or Bluetooth.

On the outside, Home Assistant Green has a stunning translucent enclosure design revealing the hub’s inner hardware. Unlike some other smart home devices, it looks great in your home decor. The bottom of the case also functions as the hub’s heat sink and is made of a solid piece of black, anodized aluminum. And, of course, this case features the new Home Assistant logo on top as a nice subtle mosaic pattern.

Home Assistant Green specifications

For more information about Home Assistant Green, visit our product page or watch the team at Nabu Casa talk about Home Assistant Green’s development and features in our anniversary video.

Watch on YouTube: Home Assistant 10th Anniversary Event #HA10

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of Home Assistant, we are making an anniversary batch of 1000 Home Assistant Green hubs available for sale via our partner Seeed Studio. You can order your Home Assistant Green right now:

Order at Seeed Studio

If this anniversary batch sells out before you can get one, don’t worry! At the end of October, the Home Assistant Green will become widely available through our existing distributor network. Keep an eye on the Home Assistant Green website (link to Green marketing landing page) or our social media (links to social media) for availability!

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2023/09/17/home-assistant-green-your-entry-to-home-assistant/
5 Likes

Ooooh supercool. I’ve been debating for the past couple of weeks whether to upgrade my Pi3b+ (with as card!) to a Pi4 with SSD or get something like a Nuc. The Green seems to be just about right for my needs! Will definitely pick one up in October when my local distributor gets them!

1 Like

:joy: you can’t be serious

Is this based on an Android tv box ?

Still waiting for CM4s to become available for my Home Assistant Yellow. :sob:

3 Likes

What is the SoC (System-on-a-Chip) variant model that Home Assistant Green is based on exactly?

Edit: In the video they only mentioned it uses some kind of Rockchip RK3566, not a specific variant model of RK3566, and as far as I know, there are different variants of RK3566 for different markets, such as RK3566A for tablets, RK3566D for OTT box. I believe that there might also a variant called RK3568 with the same CPU/GPU IP but with high-speed peripherals such as PCIe 3.0.

Any other similar development boards that uses this same variant SoC as Home Assistant Green?

What is the electric consumption of the Green ?

Can’t find any info on BIOS options. Can this device “Auto Power On” on power outages?

Check out Pine64, they use Rockchip.

Yeah but not exact same SoC model. Rockchip makes loads of variants different variants that are not all compatible, and a development board would really need to use the exact same one to be a good match.

Learned that Home Assistant Green uses a Rockchip RK3566, but again not which specific model of it is, it really should be the exact same SoC model, as there are even multiple variants of the RK3566 with different specifications made in different markets.

By the way, wondering if the board from “Dusun DSGW-210-HA” SBC-appliance was considered as an option? It uses a slightly slower CPU but it comes with Zigbee/Thread, Z-Wave + Bluetooth radios:

Hardware specifications can be found at Home Assistant Green - Home Assistant

2 Likes

Great news and have ordered what I hope is the first of many.

I support a lot of first time users and this approach should greatly accelerate the adoption rates and assist with first time onboarding.

Well done!

1 Like

CM4 are slowly becoming available, have a look at rpilocator.com.

2 Likes

Very exciting with another piece of HA hardware. I see you can preorder in Europe already.

I’ve been using one of these Dusun boxes for about 9 months now. It’s been great although i have never been able to get bluetooth going.

But not the precise soc version. It just says Rockchip RK3566 SoC with quad-core Arm Cortex-A55 CPU.

This is very exciting! I have a couple friends who are a great target audience for this.

By the way, I think it would be helpful to strongly suggest that buyers also get a skyconnect, maybe offer a “bundle” with it as a default option, even if it’s the same price as each one combined, because most people will expect any smart home hub to be “the thing they use to connect zigbee and thread devices”.

Yikes… that storage is a bit low!

Yeah 8G ram and 64G storage would be nicer, but probably not then $99.