Introducing Home Assistant Green: Your entry to Home Assistant

Have been looking at it since January. A CM4 has been last seen in Canada in May, but only briefly and it was not one I want. The situation is only a little better in the States.

Did anybody found, which protocols this will support? Same as yellow, or?

I am pretty sure it is not the same, but can be with additional USB devices.

What do you mean “protocols”?

It doesn’t have built in Zigbee/thread like the Yellow does. Not sure if it has Bluetooth and WiFi

No WiFi too.

In addition to Yellow and Green, I think newbies like me without skills on the soldering iron could benefit from ready to go sensors.
There are optical interfaces to heating devices or electricity meters that need careful measurement and production if an interface. Same for measuring your gas consumption via magnetic contacts.
Some off the shelf hardware that you can select by just entering your model number and preferred way of transmission like USB or WiFi would be very helpful.

I think the starter kit has to be ready to go with all interfaces, Zigbee, Matter, Thread, Bluetooth, Wifi 2,4GHz. 5GHZ and an SDR to cover 10-000 MHZ for various things like weatherstations or electricity meters.
Maybe even a “pro” Red version with extended Range and full duplex SDR to 6 or 7 GHZ and wifi7 , better cpu and ram.
Buy once, be set without having to buy additional daughterboards basically.

Well, they have released this device and I have one. It did literally “Just Work”.
It has no WiFi (probably a good thing), no bluetooth (is this really needed?), no Zigbee/Thread/matter etc. These can all be added (best probably with HA SkyConnect dongle).

I can’t find any specific support from Nabu Casa / MH which is a little disappointing since I want to find out more about the Micro SD card slot which is billed as for “recovery purposes only” (as is the HDMI port). I have plugged in an SD card and it shows up in the /dev folder but I can’t “mount” it - mount just says “Permission denied (are you root?)” I used sudo, so yes I am. I’m not a linux guru so any help there from a guru would be appreciated.

there is SkyConnect yes, but everything extra uses up valuable usb ports and you have to be cautious to make sure its compatible.
Wifi i think is a must these days, makes you more flexible and needs less space. Its common to have electricity in remote locations but not necessarily ethernet.

I will stick with the request for more optical & mechanical sensors as a new segment in the shop.

If you dont want to be a newbie then get a soldering iron and lean, it’s not rocket science. This is a “starter” nox.if you want all the bells and whistles then buy a yellow that has all that stuff or buy a pi and build it yourself.

1 Like

Respectfully disagree on Wi-Fi as part of something like this. I don’t even use Wi-Fi on my Raspberry Pi based homelab servers because it isn’t always perfectly reliable.

6 Likes

Im honestly baffled by the decision to spend time and money on the design and manufacture of this thing.

It’s just a straight up worse version of an SBC that can be had off the shelf for equal or even less money.

Just as an example the FriendlyElec NanoPC-T6 has a much more powerful SoC (dual quad core, A72+A55), mini-PCIe, M.2 E-Key and M.2 M-Key slots AND dual 2.5G Ethernet.
And with identical ram/emmc spec to the green it’s also exactly 100$.

2 Likes

With a case and power supply it is $130.

Mine uses 1.6w when idle

We talked to current and potential users of Home Assistant and found that there is a demand for an easy-to-use and official device to get started.

And these users are not newbies to smart homes, quite many of them are engineers and they really just want a no-fuss solution.

7 Likes

I’m an electrical engineer have been a Debian developer for 10 years and currently run Home Assistant on Linux, Odroid N2+, Blue and Yellow.

I have ordered a Home Assistant Green as I want rock solid hardware and software platform that’s preconfigured so I can get on with the ‘exciting’ stuff of automating my household and home energy management system.

Standing on the shoulders of giants

6 Likes

Gotta say the lack of a AU/NZ power supply is a bummer. One more clip on plug prong would have been good.

Yes! We simplify the mundane parts of the setup so that you can focus on the important aspects of your smart home. :smiley:

We create a smart home because we want to monitor and automate our home, not because we want to set up more things. (Sure, some people just want to tinker stuff… :wink: )

2 Likes

Like with so much else incl HA itself, you get out of Wi-Fi what you’ve put into it. It used to be that buying a Wi-Fi box aka “router” (really router - firewall - access point - switch in a single box) was sufficient, but nowadays the spectrum is so congested one needs proper network features, performance, and visibility into what’s going on, to have a solid network. I.e. an SDN, software defined network. TP-Link Omada has been working out quite well for me in multiple installations.

1 Like

+1 and add to that some simple to use mesh networking Wi-Fi system like example Google Nest WiFi do not allow to set a static WiFi channel per access point so the AP closest to your Home Assist could at any time to a WiFi channel that will interfere with Zigbee and Thead if using Home Assistant SkyConnect or other IoT radios