Introducing Home Intent - the simple local voice assistant for Home Assistant!

For the past couple of months, I’ve been working on Home Intent, a locally hosted voice assistant for Home Assistant! It’s especially useful if any cloud services might be down…!

It uses Rhasspy under the covers, and after setup, Home Intent will pull in all the various controllable entities and automatically setup all the sentences. No more manually setting up entities and messing around with templates. It’s all handled for you.

It currently supports climate, cover, fan, group, humidifier, light, lock, remote, shopping list, and switch entities. After connecting it to Home Assistant (which involves setting up a long-lived token), it’s just configuring a mic/speaker (which it has a nice interface for!)

After that, you can just interact with Home Assistant with your voice:

• Jarvis, turn on the kitchen light
  • Jarvis, add milk to the shopping list
  • Jarvis, set the bedroom light to red at 80% brightness

We even have a simple timer that can be enabled - “Jarvis, set timer 10 minutes”

Setup is currently done via docker-compose, and once satellite support is in, we’ll work on adding it as a Home Assistant addon.

version: "3.9"

services:
  homeintent:
    image: "ghcr.io/jarvyj/homeintent:latest"
    restart: unless-stopped
    volumes:
      - "/PATH_TO_CONFIG/rhasspy:/profiles"
      - "/PATH_TO_CONFIG/config:/config"
      - "/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro"
    ports:
      - "11102:11102"  # For the Home Intent UI
      - "12183:12183"  # For communicating over MQTT/satellites
      - "12101:12101"  # For the Rhasspy UI (optional)
    devices:
      - "/dev/snd:/dev/snd"

Code can be found on GitHub

18 Likes

Waiting for the satellite support to try it, looks neat!

HomeIntent has now Salelite support! PUSH PUSH PUSH :slight_smile:

This looks very cool, can it replace any of the functionality from here GitHub - maykar/plex_assistant: ❱ Plex Assistant is a Home Assistant integration for casting Plex media to Google devices, Sonos devices, and Plex clients with Google Assistant, HA's conversation integration, and more. ?

E.g. asking to play arbitrary titles

1 Like

I have installed this on my supervised system.

I have played around with Rhasspy before, but not for ages. Both Home Intent and Rhasspy have come such a long way. I intend to build a satellite this weekend to test properly.

1 Like

This looks really great @Jarvy! Played with Rhasspy a few months ago, but found it too much work to bind all entities.

Thanks for sharing your (obviously hard) work! Something to play with this weekend :grin:

1 Like

We really need to encourage Jarvy, given this post Home Intent Going to Maintenance Mode · Issue #362 · JarvyJ/HomeIntent · GitHub

Go @Jarvy go!

2 Likes

Just installed and got this working. It is a great alternative for local voice control over a cloud dependent Alexa device. I just learned about Home intent recently though, it’s too bad it hasn’t received more attention. Big thanks to @Jarvy for putting the time and effort into this.

2 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement! I think with Mike Hansen moving to work with Nabu Casa and all the year of voice stuff, they’ll be a good option for local voice here soon, and I’m happy the ideas of Home Intent will continue on.

If there was more time in the world, I would’ve loved to continue working on Home Intent. But maintaining an open source project while working a full time job is a lot of time!

2 Likes