Introducing the Works with Home Assistant program

With Home Assistant, we integrate with over 1000 different APIs. The majority of these integrations are created and maintained by the Home Assistant community. Over the years a number of companies have stepped up to work with our community offering samples and engineering support. In a few cases, we saw companies pick up the maintenance of integrating their products in Home Assistant.

Sadly, a couple of times it happened that companies went silent after their initial contribution, causing users to be wondering why new devices are not being supported. We want to protect our users from investing in products for their homes that won’t work well with Home Assistant.

Today we’re introducing the Works with Home Assistant program to allow manufacturers to show their support and commitment to Home Assistant and its community.

The program requires manufacturers to maintain the integration of their products in Home Assistant, offer a good user experience, provide product samples and give us an engineering contact to escalate issues. In return, manufacturers will be able to use the “Works with Home Assistant” badge on their products and documentation. The terms of the Works with Home Assistant program are enforced in an agreement signed by both Nabu Casa and the manufacturer.

With Home Assistant we are always working on educating our users about preferring local control and open standards when acquiring new products. This is also reflected in the “Works with Home Assistant” badges.

There are manufacturers that are creating products that integrate into Home Assistant using standards like Z-Wave, Zigbee, or Matter (soon). In these cases, the integration is maintained by the Home Assistant community and Nabu Casa. These companies can still become a member of the Works with Home Assistant program but are relieved from integration maintenance.

Products that are approved for the Made with ESPHome program will be eligible to use the “Works locally with Home Assistant” badge as part of their Made with ESPHome membership.

For more information for manufacturers, see our Works with Home Assistant portal.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2022/07/12/partner-program/
30 Likes

I like the idea, but the name makes me cringe and actually scares me a little. I was all in with the ‘Works with Nest’ program then it was bought by Google
and
in comparison they made Titanic look like a success.

3 Likes

Good idea, well done and good additon.

@GlennHA: nobody will disagree on your example of Nest.
It’s better then nothing and it’s impossible to foresee the future.

1 Like

Marketing teams hate giving up space on the box to log large wordy things.

Would probably be a good idea to make small versions maybe with a large HA logo then a small logo / icon chain showing the via as some devices might work more than one way?

IE a big HA symbol followed by a small Zwave logo or Big HA followed by a cloud symbol. Local could be represented by a wifi or Ethernet jack symbol?

Just a thought.

Also I find the long text for the “how” wordy and slow to read. Would love to scan the box for the symbols.

4 Likes

*** UPDATE ***
next up letting companies pay to being able to use the badge and after that make the nabu casa cloud required to use home assistant! and then maybe make the subscription a little more expensive
 and when all people leave the project just sell it to amazon or goole.

Heck who cares about the future of Home Assistant anymore. this could well be the beginning of the end.

We all know what happened with IFTTT and their money asking if companies want their products to support it.

Nabu casa did a smart job first making a big community with people building the system for them. Now they can make big bucks of it by selling the name badge to companies. Thank you all devs! time well spend!

4 Likes

Or maybe they use all that money to hire people so that people that complain if their issue or PR is not looked at within 24 hours gets more attention. In my eyes the only reason why HA works is that a lot of people support Nabu so they can hire people to work on the fast amount of open items. If people would only put in their free time it would never have taken off the way it has now. Even if Nabu is mandatory (which it is not) home assistant is open source. It is not owned by Nabu.

11 Likes

There’s literally no parallels between IFTTT and HomeAssistant other than it is automation for products. One only worked in the cloud on hardware the company owned, another runs on local hardware and can run without any internet connection at all.

It’s also funny you say that when the blog points out an obvious issue that some companies have used HomeAssistant to sell products and did not follow through, kind of the opposite of what you’re insinuating

9 Likes

It would be nice if this works many times have requested help on sites that work with HA and most responses are “I got it working” and that would be all. Or Go to ESPhome.io there you will find the functional answer to your question, but not. Sure for those that know all about the in and outs the answer is obvious to them.
The other thing that drives me away from HA is the lack of devices known to work with HA. Just ask that question in groups and they say “what are you talking about all these products work with HA”. But NOT. How am I supposed to know the sensor or lamp or switch suggested by these well-meaners requires a USB dongle or hub?
This is just not ready for prime time sure for those that live the life in geekdom sure but not for those that want to set it up and use it without having to figure out why it stopped working after the last update.
I really like HA and ESPhome but as I stated it is not yet ready for the mass market and maybe that was by design. Looking forward to purchasing some WORKS products and testing one last time.

2 Likes

“Works with Matter”, “Works with ZigBee”, “Works with ZWave” should hopefully make that more clear for users that wouldn’t know what to look for

Wouldn’t it be better to have a page where the user can enter the name of a product and look up the support in HA?
I really like the zigbee2mqtt devices page.
For me it’s not always that clear which integration in HA matches with a product and what I can expect in terms of usability (e.g. exposed entities/attributes).
I think the documentation of HA can help filling this gap, but it will require quite some work.

9 Likes

That would be nice, but on the other hand

Zigbee2MQTT is a small part of one (1) of those: image

So there’s a risk things may get hard to maintain.

2 Likes

I’m afraid you’re right. Nabu casa is creating more and more devices, like the home assistant blue and yellow. They are also going to make a matter stick. Making the subscription more expensive. I fear in the future you’ll have to pay more and more 

But, if I look at the problems I have with the upgrade to python 3.10
 and 2022.7 they still have a long way to go. So may bugs
 this is not tested

Yes! I’ve been wanting (something like) this for a while.
This will make it easier to find compatible devices and be certain whether something is a local device.

2 Likes

That’s amazing! It will save me a lot of time trying to figure out what works or don’t work with HA.

Every smart home purchase I make starts with a search for Home Assistant at Google
lol

2 Likes

Really, mine starts here Integrations - Home Assistant then Zigbee2MQTT then https://community.home-assistant.io/ and https://esphome.io/

4 Likes

Yeah but that’s really time consuming!

I see something on offer at Amazon (usually an IP camera) - and my first thing to do is to Google the model of the camera followed by “Home Assistant” - which generally does bring me to this community, but sometimes takes me to blog posts. It’s a common pattern for me to quickly find out if a camera works with Home Assistant.

4 Likes

If HA were willing to keep a public record of products that have this certification (including which tier) then that would make the search for automation devices so much easier

6 Likes

I have done this with fully open source software where the buyout risk is little to none. In this case there is risk on both sides if there is a change to how the program works. A properly structured program should not be affected by an ownership change on either side. Obvs a perfect world take.

1 Like

Does this means that HA will become a commercial platform?

Hopefully not, but by giving device manufacturers an incentive to appeal to a greater market (especially if they provide local access which is obviously the ultimate attraction to us) it should make our product options much better.

1 Like