iOS 15 Beta (and Public Release) - Safari/Companion App Freezing

Unfixed as of Nov 9th 2021.

There was an iOS app update this morning to 2021.11. So far it has fixed the issue for me, but I have only been using it for a few hours. I’ll update at the end of the day.

The update did not fix it for me.

Not for me.

Updated HA core to 2021.11.1 and later to 2021.11.2
Update iOS app to most recent.
All my iOS devices at home that stay at 14.6 are working properly
All my iOS devices at 15.1 still the same problem

Exactly the same problem here, my iPhone is almost unusable on the latest HA IOS app.

1 Like

I can’t seem to get it to “break” like it was with version 2010.10. Is there anything special you are doing to get it to hang? Let me know so I can try it out.

For me, it seems the issue is fixed, which is odd. Have you done a full home assistant reboot and phone reboot?

update - issue is still present

I don´t know what to test.
HA core rebooted many times, including upgrades.
iPhone and iPads rebooted many times.
The iPhone device that still in iOS 14.6 are working without problem.
Only the devices upgraded to iOS 15.x have the “freezing” behaviour.
The freezing problem occurs connected to wifi inside the house and also 4G outside the house.

I was already using that version as beta but it has become such a habit to just go to HA via chrome (I even made a pretty shortcut icon) I am trying to force myself to use the app first again… but so far so good, but again my use has been limited with the app compared to what it was

I‘ve disabled the iOS background refresh for the HA app and since this it seems it is better. Every time I open the app it is connecting again to home assistant and therefore it seems to work

I’ve tried on 4G LTE/5G and WiFi but it all appears fixed. I also didn’t touch background app refresh (mine has always been on). What would cause it to hang for me in the past was have the app in the background for a while and then when I would open it back up it would be frozen. But again, after 1 day on the new version, I couldn’t recreate.

Hopefully the app developer continues to track this as still multiple people are still reporting issues with iOS 15 and the companion app.

update - issue is still present

After 2 days of using the app, the freezing finally occurred on my phone. It appears it happens less, but the issue is still present.

2021.11.1 companion app released and still happening.

I have to confirm.
Lately we were reporting this issue in relation to home wifi roaming. But yesterday, starting app using LTE connection, the app was pretending to be alive but clicking on buttons did nothing. I had to reload app by pull-down gesture

Anyone having any luck with the new companion app beta? I updated this morning but have been at work so haven’t used the app much but feel like it would have froze by now previously.

Have to say, seems much better, time will tell!

Companion app updated to 2021.12. Anyone see an improvement/fix to this?

Edit: answered my own question - still happening on newest companion app and iOS 15.2

I feel like it is slightly less… (but again could be due to my own usage habits) but yes still happening

I still have the same issue even with all the updates (ios and companion).
One thing I still have issues on iOS is the notes, it blocks too (black screen with no contents), this happens to you too?
I have 4 devices iOS and all access to HA but only 2 have this issues, and all are updated.

I use notes quite often and have not had an issue with that since the very first iOS 15 beta

On the companion app 2021.12.1 and the Home Assistant v2021.12.3, the app seems to doing well.

Even when I try to break it by switching from wifi to 5G, the app seems to recognize the loss of connection and forces the connection back with a haptic vibration.

So far so good after 2 days!