IOS app shows empty screen with 0.93.1 with reverse proxy

My home assistant setup has an apache proxy in front of it (to handle common authentication for home assistant and other services I have). It has been working without any problems so far.

Today, I upgraded from 0.92.2 to 0.93.1. When using home assistant with browser everything works ok. However, the IOS companion app just
shows a blank screen with blue ribbon in top of it. No real content at all.

Didn’t see any errors in logs, but there is a difference in frontend apache access log. With 0.93.1 there are lines like this:
“GET /frontend_latest/core.284296d9.js HTTP/2.0” 302

With 0.92.2 lines are like this:
“GET /frontend_latest/core.284296d9.js HTTP/2.0” 200

For some reason home assistant is sending HTTP 302 in newer version.
Reverting back to 0.92.2 makes IOS app work again.

Any ideas what might be the problem ?

It might sound really crazy, but what version of iOS are you running?

I’m running ios 12.2.

Also, home assistant 0.93.1 works from iOS browser. Just not from the app.

Hm that is odd, do you use the 1.5.1 version or the 2.0 version of the app? If it is the old one, you could try the 2.0 version (it is in beta though).

I’m using 1.5.1 version of the app. I was also thinking about using the new version, but had to roll back to 0.92 for now. Maybe I could try tomorrow.

Tried 2.0 beta app. Doesn’t seem to work at all with auth proxy in front of system, it results in “ObjectMapper failed to serialize response”. I see only one request in server (/api/discovery_info), with HTTP 401 response.
No login page from reverse proxy as in 1.5.1 app.

But this looks like a different problem as the new app doesn’t work for me with 0.92.2 either.

Solved. For some reason, with 0.93 the ios app is not sending proxy auth cookies for /frontend_latest and /static. That caused proxy to issue HTTP 302 response to redirect to login page.

I bypassed the proxy autentication for those URLs (not solution I like, punching extra holes) and it works now.

One more observation for the record. The problem occurs with browser also (at least in safari in macbook). It just wasn’t visible until I cleared browser cache. So it is not an iOS app problem, but more generic.