iOS app update

Anyone knows if an update for iOS 11 is planned?
A lot of the frontend buttons does not show correctly anymore.
Widget support would also be nice in the future.

5 Likes

Would be nice indeed.

Yeah hopefully there’s an update coming. But I think Robbie has been MIA for awhile. Maybe someone can pick up the project?

I would Love a ha widget!!!

The first “edition” has been great so hopefully the succes will continue :slight_smile:

Please file issues on https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant-iOS/issues so they can be tracked (ideally with screenshots in this case). I’ve been submitting some pull requests and can take a look at these issues but I didn’t notice anything wrong myself in the iOS 11 simulator (still on iOS 10 on my phone).

1 Like

Would also be nice to tie into the do not disturb driving feature and send an update when that mode exits…

This isn’t possible sadly as Apple doesn’t provide any APIs for DND.

1 Like

Glad to see you!

Any ideas what changed in iOS 11 that causes the location stuff to struggle?

Did you check that the app is set to “Always” have access to your location in the Privacy > Location Services settings? “While Using the App” will have problems since it won’t update when the app isn’t in the foreground.

that setting, in addition to iOS 11, is a super battery drain… is there anyway to reduce the overhead so as to preserve the phone for a bit longer?

Also make sure background task is turned on for the HA app… That is equally important for it to do it’s thing in the background.

You can’t have it both ways… if you want location updates when the app isn’t in the foreground you need to set it to “Always”. The only potential workaround which is unreliable is to send a push notification to the phone asking it to update but that may timeout. See https://home-assistant.io/docs/ecosystem/ios/notifications/requesting_location_updates/

The following quote from the Swiftlocation library that is used in this app.

iOS 11+
Starting with iOS 11, you must provide a description for how your app uses location services by setting a string for the key NSLocationAlwaysAndWhenInUseUsageDescription in your app’s Info.plist file.

Perhaps this is now missing in the compiled version for IOS11, that could explain the worse preformance with location tracking in IOS11?

Nope, I’m including that in the latest version (released today ICYMI) and confirmed for myself before submitting the build that location permissions work properly and show the dialog that uses that key.

Ok, thnx for the fast reply. I already saw on github in the source, that the line for IOS11 is added to the info.plist in the lastest build. Also i already received the update through the apple store. I wil monitoring the presence detection in the new build the comming days, to see if it is improved.

I currently use my wifi presence (tomato) detection, as a trigger, to force an update of the location. This improved the presence detection, but still not 100%, because the “request_location_update” notify is not reliable.

Also i have setup my raspberry pi to act as an ibeacon.

- alias: Update phone location when WIFI connection iphone changes
    trigger: 
      platform: state
      entity_id: device_tracker.iphoneWifi
    action:
      - service: notify.ios_iphone
        data:

What do you mean by background task? Which setting is this?

There isn’t a setting to enable/disable background location updates, there is only a setting to enable notifications when those updates happen.

In iOS you can turn off all or select applications from running in the background. Make sure you allow the iOS app to run in the background.

@robbiet480 Thanks for the update, long time no see! Is anyone else seeing an issue with the ios app not updating? The app works/ha responds when I press a button/switch, but nothing updates on the app unless I press the refresh button… I’m on 10.3.1