iOS Companion App. Lots of fiddly little bugs, or just me?

Have been in CV-19 isolation without my Mac (horror!) and working on my setup from my iPhone (XR, 14.1).

I’ve noticed all sorts of fiddly little foibles when editing YAML in the File Editor add-on (perhaps more understandable) / graphic UI before. But this has really bought it home, as it’s unusable in places.

Before I start spending my time filing hundreds of little bug reports, is it just me? I assumed they’d just be so obvious to anyone using it that they’d have been fixed by now (been there since I moved to HA months ago).

In particular:

Cutting and pasting just doesn’t work. Sometimes it will do nothing. Sometimes copies bits of formatting.

Number fields in several places won’t let you delete the first digit. You have to go in front of it, type the number, then go to the end and delete it. Doesn’t always work.

There’s often a mismatch between the visible cursor position and where it actually is, so deleting or adding text ends up somewhere random. Particularly on YAML lines that exceed the screen width.

Exiting scripts / scenes / automations without saving doesn’t work without going back to a higher menu item.

There are loads more.

It’s not just ios, I think it’s all ‘mobile browsers’, certainly doesn’t work for me on android anyway.

I know there was a discussion a while ago about it, and it’s something to do with view they use, but I can’t remember the reason why it happens or whether there is anything in the pipeline to fix it.

Aha. Thanks!

Well, that makes me feel slightly better about it. Makes sense, but it’s a shame, with the emphasis on ‘mobile first’. SO close to being absolutely killer to be able to knock this stuff up on the fly.

Will do some more digging.

1 Like

I was experiencing the same small bugs while editing text in the iOS companion app but with the 2021.5 release it has improved a lot. Give it a try!