iOS Notifications not working in 2020.4

Notifications seem to not be displaying on all my devices, two iphones, and 1 amazon fire tablet. In the home assistant app on all devices it says the notification was successful but no notification pops on any device. Seems to have happen in the last couple of days. I do have the newest build of the app and HA OS. I have deleted the device on HA and set it backup, it is pulling device info (location, data, even actions work) but no luck with notifications. Any last ideas before deleting the app on the phones?

-Update, deleted the app on my wifes phone and reinstalled. Still no notifications popping, HA app says it received oneā€¦

My best guess at notifications that appear ā€˜receivedā€™ but do not show up is either:

1. Notification permission is set to ā€˜deniedā€™ or otherwise disabled (e.g. make sure it is set to do banners, play sounds, etc.)
  2. Thereā€™s no message content in the notification, for example one to clear a badge would not alert or a message of ""
  3. The device ID in the Home Assistant notify.mobile_app_{name} is incorrect. In recent versions of HA Core, this should automatically reload the service when it changes. You can manually reload the notify service, or restart the HA instance, to trigger this to update.

Should none of these work, Iā€™d ask you to join #ios_and_mac on Discord ā€“ we can do some debugging like sending manual notifications directly to your device using Firebase without going through your HA instance.

1 Like

Well it seems deleting my app and reinstalling it worked to fix mine, wifeā€™s still isnā€™t working but I just send her notifications to annoy her. Thanks for all the help!

I ran into this problem as well, and interesting enough i checked zacwestā€™s first suggestion to check notifications and Home Assistant does not show up in my notifications list, at all! I donā€™t know when this happened but i know it wasnā€™t like this before. Maybe this is causing the issue? Is anyone else missing HA from the notifications menu?

update: Ok, so i realized why this was. I went to app configuration in the HA app, and realized app notifcations was turned off. After turning on, HA appeared in the notifications menu. Now I can receive notifications on my phone!