iOS Steps showing incorrect data

I want to get my steps showing on my dashboard in HA but every day when I compare the steps on my iPhone fitness app from phone\watch to whats showing under steps in HA under the iPhone steps sensor it shows approx twice as many as what’s in the iOS fitness app, does anyone know why it’s doing this and how to fix it?

I got my brother to check and compare his in his own HA setup and it seems to be out as well.

Yeah, it would be great if the iOS app would pull health data from the watch, but I cannot figure out how to make it do so.

I’ve used that solution in the past, and there have been some issues, I really just want the HA Native app to add this feature… in the mean time, I have a few other ‘tricks’ up my sleeve.

I’m part of the way there on this.
The issue is that your phone and your watch are both storing steps in the database, and at least as of iOS 17, Apple hasn’t given us access to the total number that they generate with simultaneous steps subtracted out. You can, however, write a shortcut on your phone and pick a source (phone or watch) and then call a service to get that data to HA:

My problem now is how to automatically trigger the shortcut. If I manually run it, it works, but if I write an automation like below, iOS ignores it- maybe because it’s trying to send data out of HA? I checked all the privacy settings etc.

So, funny thing. I’ve been doing that for over a year, and it is as close to the most reliable way I’ve found to get steps to HA. I have an iOS Shortcut Automation that triggers on ‘app launch’, and I add my 50 favorite apps to the list of apps to trigger it, so basically every single time I open an app on my phone it pushes my steps to HA.

I tried using ‘PushCut’ on another iOS device, to do it continously, but the second device did not update the step count frequently enough (hours sometimes), so that proved to be an unreliable way.

My problem now is how to automatically trigger the shortcut. If I manually run it, it works, but if I write an automation like below, iOS ignores it- maybe because it’s trying to send data out of HA? I checked all the privacy settings etc.

The reason it ignores it is because (and this is important) iOS will not allow your shortcut to access health data when your phone is locked!

That’s what I figured. There’s also the Withings integration, but those steps don’t agree with the health app exactly, and you have to literally open the app to get it to push the data to HA.

Great idea using app opening to make this happen! It’s too bad “when the screen turns on” isn’t a trigger.