IP camera audio output as media_player

Most of generic ip cameras have a built in speaker or a line out interface for audio. Is it possible to use it as a wireless speaker? Couldn’t find information from my camera of how to send audio to it. Also have to say that the audio when using the ip camera app is very low quality, but can’t say if this realated to the speaker quality or the audio driver itself. Anyway, I still see some opportunities for using such audio outputs for home automation.

I’m looking into this for Axis cameras, receiving audio is clearly specified for those cameras. But mostly it seems to be a need for transcoding the audio to fit with supported audio codecs and the external dependencies this brings…

+1 I use the Armcrest HX1 and would love this feature.

1 Like

Just bumping this as I think a lot of us HA users would love to be able to bring through the audio streams to / from our IP cameras into the HA frontend. This would allow IP cameras with audio capability (a lot have 2-way audio these days) to be used as door intercoms, allowing us to communicate with visitors even if we aren’t home. Currently the only way to do this is with cloud connected IP cameras and proprietary apps. We NEED camera audio in HA!

3 Likes

This is an old thread so not sure what is happeneing, I’m in the same boat, would love to be able to do this with my Xiaomi Mijia Xiaofang Camera

Me too !
I am very interested to use the speaker inside the camera.
The tv is too slow for playing a doorbell jingle !

Regards

I have some TP-LINK TAPO cams with this feature too (2 way audio)
Integration for this kind of hard works, but audio is a problem.
TAPO uses low quallity PCM audio natively, and it is incompatible with HA.
If you want to record video with audio and play it in media browser, need to reencode audio (can be done with ffmpeg adding a shell_command)
But doing this, generates a ~5 sec delay in record times (loosing first secs of the event)
I really appreciate improvements in audio support, so, even, we can use camera speakers to acknoledge commands, or even mics to recieve voice commands.
An audio entity in any cam that supports 2 way audio would be great! and compatibility with native codecs, so, no transcoding needed (in low profile equipment its really a problem run ffmpeg encoding)

I am new at HA, so, if someone want to work on this, let me know.

I wish to colaborate with this great project.

Greets

1 Like