iPhone Status via iCloud always away

Hi,

Willing to use iCloud3 at some point but looks more than I need. Any idea why my iPhone status is always away? I installed the companion app and checked following:

location must be enabled and on “always allow” with précise location and background app refresh must also be enabled. In the app settings, in location, location permission must be set to always, location accuracy.

Any other ideas?

I would try moving the location for your Home around a bit because sometimes your actual location and where you think your home is don’t quite line up. The easiest way to check this is to walk around your home and see if you can find a place where you do show as being home.

1 Like

To expand a bit on what @daywalker03 said, also make sure your lat/long for your home zone is accurate. A good way to test this is by using something like https://www.latlong.net/ and geocoding your address. Then, put the lat and long values into your configuration.yaml file and restarting HA.

@code-in-progress @daywalker03

Thank you both. Any ideas why this is not working? Entire configuration.yaml is shown

homeassistant:
    packages: !include_dir_named packages

# Loads default set of integrations. Do not remove.
default_config:

unit_System: metric

name: Home
  latitude: 42.230830
  longitude: -70.933590
  elevation: 99

# Load frontend themes from the themes folder

frontend:
  themes: !include_dir_merge_named themes

# Text to speech
tts:
  - platform: google_translate

automation: !include automations.yaml
script: !include scripts.yaml
scene: !include scenes.yaml
sensor: !include sensors.yaml

shell_command:
  backup_script: "/bin/sh -c 'ha core stop && ha backups new --name \"Automated backup $(date +%Y-%m-%d)\" && ha core start'"

Logger: homeassistant.helpers.config_validation
Source: helpers/config_validation.py:1110
First occurred: 6:58:10 PM (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 6:58:10 PM

The default_config integration does not support any configuration parameters, got {‘unit_System’: ‘metric’, ‘name’: ‘Home’, ‘latitude’: 42.23083, ‘longitude’: -70.93359, ‘elevation’: 99}. Please remove the configuration parameters from your configuration.

You can add it if you want to.

The location settings go under homeassistant: and not under default_config:.

My iPhone is reporting its home, but does the HA Companion app have to stay open and running for it to keep checking in?

I don’t know how it would work on iOS, but yes, the app should be running in the background.

That’s what I thought and my HA is not exposed to internet, at least not yet but I am hoping this is the first step to be able to use this for presence detection. Other methods may not work as we have cats and they would end up setting off whatever I might have used. Plus my wife doesn’t want alot of stuff hanging around doors.

thank you for your help

If you want to use the companion app to do location tracking outside of your home, this is pretty much a requirement. Just FYI.

I am not at the stage where I am even close to ready for that. I am just glad iCloud sees the iPhone as home when I am home. Whereas before it was not. With iCloud3 right now it just looks too busy for me. Maybe I might want it down road but not now

I’ve tried this integration and while it’s good, it is definitely complex in setting it up. The easiest way (when you are ready) is to sign up for Nabu Casa. It handles exposing your HA instance to the internet securely without you having to really do anything aside from flipping a switch. This way you can use your devices and such from HA outside of your home network.