IR codes: Web ressources conflict with ESPhome

Dear all,

I’ trying to automate an IR-controlled LED lamp type iDual Jedi Light. Quite popular on Amazon. Now I followed the recommended steps to sniff the required codes.

Two ressources (Amazon review and open HAB forum) indicate that an NEC standard is to be used for the Jedi Light, where simply some data and a bit length is to be sent.

Now in the ESPhome docs and in my sniffed data, the NEC standard both requires an address and a command to be sent. This is completely contrary to the information found on the web.

Contrarily, the proposed NEC codes exactly appear as LG codes in my sniffed data (example for “off” button on IR remote):

[14:09:53][D][remote.lg:054]: Received LG: data=0x407F40BF, nbits=32
[14:09:53][D][remote.nec:070]: Received NEC: address=0xFE02, command=0xFD02

Do I get something wrong, or is there a mistake in the ESPhome documentation (and/or implementation)?

Nope quite normal to get some codes discovered as other codes :wink: I have some devices I control with a mix of codes from different manufacturers, it’s not a problem so long code works :smiley:

Well, basically the self-detected NEC codes seem to work, but I only get super low operating distances. I use M5stack and their dedicated IR transmitter/receiver, and I would intuitively expect a working range of 3-5m according to their docs, but I am down to something like 50 cm to get reliable switching behaviour… :frowning: Could that be a code issue?

Understood. It’s not like I complain on the wrong standard I seem to find, it’s more that the NEC standards definition in ESPhome (adress, command) differs from the “usual” definition (data, nbits). This should not be the case as it is simply not compatible.

Nope I don’t think so as it’s a modulation ! It’s more an electronic problem or design and seeing how product is designed IR led looks to have quite a narrow range of view :frowning: I use Kincony K868-AG and it commands devices at few meters without any problem but has multiple leds shooting in nearly all directions !