IR receiving on Odroid N2+

I am running Home Assistant OS version 2021.12.10 running on an Odroid N2+. The Odroid has an IR receiver that I’d like to point a remote control at to trigger automations.

I see there is a LIRC integration (LIRC - Home Assistant) but I’m not sure how to make this work with Home Assistant OS.

Does anyone have suggestions or pointers of where I should be looking to get IR receiving working on this?

I found this online that seems to suggest that LIRC is not the option I should be looking at. This provides some interesting answers too, so I’m posting here to help anyone who finds this page in the future.

https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/g83mqw/lirc_or_any_infrared_sensor_software_on_hassos_312/

The most promising answer indicates that I should be using ESPHome to do this. That requires some experience with ESP boards but seems like a viable option. Here is a page that explains more about that: Getting Started with ESPHome and Home Assistant — ESPHome

1 Like

I figured this one out a while ago but forgot to post the answer.

I ended up purchasing a Flirc USB dongle (Flirc USB - Flirc). It acts as a keyboard by receiving IR input and converting it to keys pressed.

Here is a guide (Controlling Home Assistant with an Old Remote – The Helpful Idiot) for setting up Flirc to control your Home Assistant. I now have a cheap IR remote that can control many automations.