Irobot Roomba, intergration help please?

Hi I have been looking at the guide to install the Irobot Roomba integration. This can be found here: https://bit.ly/3hn6k1G

However I’m slightly confused. Is the hostname the name I gave my Roomba when I set it up? (In this case I just called my robot vacuum ‘cleaning’, so I can just say ‘start the cleaning’), or is it the name shown under the client list on my router (which in this case would be Roomba-31B5C4144113xxxx - I don’t know why these are different.) Also how can I obtain the password? I believe it is highly likely I signed up with Google in the app, so beyond the Wifi password, I’m not sure what this would be? Similarly how would I obtain the username/BLID? Is this the name of my robot (i.e. "cleaning’)? I don’t think I selected a user name when I signed up online for the service. At best I think I just used my email address and a randomly generated password. It would be really neat to get this up and running - as that would equate to 90% of my devices working in Home assistant so far!

It also talks about editing the config file (how do I do this?) and running the following command to get the password: https://github.com/NickWaterton/Roomba980-Python#how-to-get-your-usernameblid-and-password: ./getpassword.py But where can I run this? Is there a command line interface in the Home assistant GUI somewhere?

Also but entirely separately (for now I would like to stick with the GUI as much as possible), is there a way to potter around with the command line and Home Assistant? I have some past experience as a Linux user (although not for several years), and it just feels a bit weird to not have access to a command line to explore and to do various administrative tasks. (Like for example I have a 256GB SSD installed in my Home Assistant/Raspberry PI build, which isn’t currently being used and I would like to clone my Home Assistant Micro SD to this drive and run exclusively from this SSD - which as far as I know, is a task that can only be achieved via the command line.)

Which Linux build is Home Assistant based on btw?

Bump? Anyone?

This is an older post, so I’m assuming you got your questions answered, but just in case you didn’t (or someone else has the same question) here’s some guidance.

Is the hostname the name I gave my Roomba when I set it up?

The host would be the IP address of your Roomba.

Also how can I obtain the password

I think what you are actually looking for is the BLID, assuming you are adding your device from the integrations page. There are two methods, one is the Roomba980-Python you ask about a bit further down. I did not use that particular method, I used dorita980. You run the commands listed there on the machine you run home assistant on.

You don’t mention your system setup information. So I’m going to assume you are using the Home Assistant Operating system. If you are, you may find adding this repository, and running the roombapw Docker Image add-on a bit simpler.

As an aside, you may look at using Rest980 instead of the official integration anyway. It is a bit more powerful. But note you can only have Rest980 or the official integration connected at one time. If you try to do both, it will fail.

Also but entirely separately (for now I would like to stick with the GUI as much as possible), is there a way to potter around with the command line and Home Assistant?

The how to SSH information can be found here: addons/ssh/DOCS.md at e89403ef80770cf087358a7505e8d035f7c4c4e0 · home-assistant/addons · GitHub

1 Like