iRobot Roomba j8+ Connecting

Hey All,

Spent most of the morning today trying to get my new Roomba j8+ to integrate with HA. I am documenting the steps I followed here in the hopes it helps out someone else.

First problem I was running in to is that I had installed the Roomba on a subnet of my home network where most of my devices live. My ecobee thermostats work fine this way but I was not able to get the HA integration to find the Roomba and went in and put it on my main subnet and the integration discovered it. I cannot say for sure Roomba has to be on the same subnet, as changing the subnet required a change in WiFi setup which could have reset something else but regardless I at least got the integration to find the j8+.

Second thing that was not yet an issue but I addressed it now to prevent it from becoming an issue is that I changed the IP configuration on the robot to be static and not use DHCP. I don’t like to chase devices like this around my network when I don’t have to.

Next issue I ran into is the j8+ does not have a separate Home button. When I got to the step where you press Home until it beeps and have the integration retrieve the password, nothing seemed to work.

Doing internet searches, I found several solutions in GitHub that tried to also read the password from robot directly - all of them I found also depended on hitting the Home button and also failed miserably.

Finally I found the dorita980 package (GitHub - koalazak/dorita980: Unofficial iRobot Roomba and Braava (i7/i7+, 980, 960, 900, e5, 690, 675, m6, etc) node.js library (SDK) to control your robot) and installed it. I also had to install node.js.

Instructions are down in the readme and I copied what worked for me below. Note that you will need to replace [email protected] and myeasypassword with whatever you use to log in to the iRobot app and at irobot.com.

I ran the below and manually entered the password and the install of the integration finished and added my j8+.

$ npm install -g dorita980
$ get-roomba-password-cloud *[email protected] myeasypassword*
Found 1 robot(s)!
Robot "Dorita" (sku: R98---- SoftwareVer: v2.4.16-126):
BLID=> xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Password=> :1:1486937829:gktkDoYpWaDxCfGh <= Yes, all this string.

One note - if you have multiple robots, you will get multiple instances of the last 3 lines. Just be sure you get the one for the robot you are trying to add.

Hope this helps out others - feedback/clarification/corrections welcome.

1 Like

How did you manually enter the password? It only gives me the option to enter the IP address and then push the button which never works.

Looks like there was a deprecated function call in roombapy. I manually updated it and it resolved the problem. I expect it will be included in an upcoming release.

I had to enclose my password with double quotes as an FYI. Also, I used a docker image so I wouldn’t have to install this locally.

Here’s all the steps I used:

docker run -it ubuntu:22.04 bash
apt update
apt install npm
npm install -g dorita980
get-roomba-password-cloud [email protected] "my_irobot_password"