Is anyone doing anything with weather underground

Kellbot just merged my PR, so anyone using this should update if you want to also get forecast data. There’s a short example in the README on how to use it, and here is a slightly longer example of how I got my picture two posts ago. More info on what forecast data you can get here.

sensor.yaml:

[code]# Forecast

• platform: template
    sensors:
    pws_tf_period_0_text:
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.txt_forecast.forecastday.0.fcttext }}’
    pws_tf_period_0_title:
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.txt_forecast.forecastday.0.title }}’
    pws_tf_period_1_text:
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.txt_forecast.forecastday.1.fcttext }}’
    pws_tf_period_1_title:
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.txt_forecast.forecastday.1.title }}’
    pws_tf_period_2_text:
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.txt_forecast.forecastday.2.fcttext }}’
    pws_tf_period_2_title:
    value_template: ‘{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.txt_forecast.forecastday.2.title }}’[/code]

customize.yaml:

sensor.pws_tf_period_0_text: friendly_name: What icon: mdi:chevron-double-right sensor.pws_tf_period_0_title: friendly_name: When icon: mdi:calendar-clock sensor.pws_tf_period_1_text: friendly_name: What icon: mdi:chevron-double-right sensor.pws_tf_period_1_title: friendly_name: When icon: mdi:calendar-clock sensor.pws_tf_period_2_text: friendly_name: What icon: mdi:chevron-double-right sensor.pws_tf_period_2_title: friendly_name: When icon: mdi:calendar-clock
group.yaml:

[code]Forecast:

• sensor.pws_tf_period_0_title
  • sensor.pws_tf_period_0_text
  • sensor.pws_tf_period_1_title
  • sensor.pws_tf_period_1_text
  • sensor.pws_tf_period_2_title
  • sensor.pws_tf_period_2_text[/code]
1 Like

I’ve been using forecast.io for this so I’m glad to now have everything local in one place - thanks!

Just got started with HA and I created a sensor to learn. It operates similarly to the one in this thread it seems. I included the radar image download in the component itself.

I originally had it grabbing an animated gif, but HA didn’t seem to animate it. Perhaps I missed something?

Here you go:

Weather Underground support was added in 0.27.

I’m trying to use the forecast feature of weather underground, and it doesn’t seem to be working. I have the regular sensor working using (spaces are not show correctly, but they are actually correct):

sensor:

• platform: wunderground
    api_key: !secret_api
    monitored_conditions:
    • weather
    • temp_f
    • relative_humidity
    • wind_mph

But I am looking to use the attributes to get the forecast data. I used the example code above:

sensors:  
  pws_forecast_period_1_text:
    value_template: '{{ states.sensor.weather_underground_pws.attributes.precip_1hr_string }}'

I get the output below which shows simply “unknown” for the first icon:

When I look at the log, I see, “‘None’ has no attribute ‘state’”, which I am not sure means anything.

I am wondering if weather_underground_pws is the right entity. Any thoughts?

Not sure what you’re trying to do here as WU doesn’t support forecasts. A PR was made to read in the available forecasts but was abandoned and closed.

Since this is not really a feature request anymore (as the support was added already), can you start a new thread in the Configuration category and try to explain a bit more what it is you’re trying to do? This way we can close this thread properly and I’ll see if I can help you with what you’re trying to do in the other thread.

Thanks!