Is it bad to install HACS in Hassio?

ok maybe a strange question but I have to ask anyway :slight_smile:
I have Hassio and it works fine and I can easy go to the add-on store to install what I need.
But now I maybe going to use Shelly and they homepage say it easy to install for support with HACS but hassio does not have that (What I know anyway)
I can install Shelly manual or use MQTT but I just have to ask if someone have HACS install on the hassio so it can easy install other things that Hassio does not have in they store.

Hassio or not it doesn’t matter. Installation is the same.

https://custom-components.github.io/hacs/installation/manual/

But there appears to be a bug right now that prevents your home assistant from starting if hacs cannot talk to it’s update server.

1 Like

HACS is not related to hassio - installable in all versions.

1 Like

HACS installs different stuff to the hassio addon manager.

1 Like

The “update server” is GitHub, and even when GitHub have issues it does not prevent HA to start, it will just disable parts of HACS untill GitHub is reachable.

3 Likes

Correction. It wasn’t hacs, it was the Breaking Changes add-on in hacs that broke completely for several people.

1 Like

I have an issue installing aiogithubapi needed for has in hassio docker… i started console to install aiogithubapi via pip install aiogithubapi but still facing problem that component hasn’t been found?

EDIT: WORKS!! If you run HACS in Hassio Container you need manualy to install aiogithubapi. For this you need to connect to the container und install aiogithubapi via pip install aiogithubapi

1 Like

And this will be removed on the next update. You are not supposed to install anything in a running docker container.

2 Likes

As far as the original question. Is it bad to install HACS? No. It is very stable and well designed. Of course, it is still a custom component, but I have not really had any issues with any well made custom component. YMMV, so it wiil depend on your own installation.
I find it much better than the old Custom Updater and I find the ability to have so many great custom integrations and cards are worth it. I wouldn’t have found half of them without HACS having them all in one place.
HACS is for the more custom/community based things, where as the HASSIO add-in page is officially tested add-ins.

2 Likes

So I guess hassio extended home assistant in ways they were not planning on spending dev time. Now hacs extends home assistant in another direction because hassio probably doesn’t want to be responsible for a community of packages that are untested and possibly not secure. So hacs probably works fine but the packages you install should probably be checked closely. It’s concerning that direct access to git could change what you are running live on the server at anytime.

1 Like

Ummm no, you have to click “upgrade”

link gives http 404

Go to the hacs thread and follow the link there.

Giving a link would be altruistic rather than just stating what someone should do.

Then give the link!

The link you gave @flamingm0e is now a 404 as @ludeeus has moved all his stuff. It is still linked off the main HACS thread though.

It is here now, just for those who can’t be bothered looking, or using a search engine.

Thanks. I had no idea he moved it.

I know this is an old thread, but hope I can still ask my question that is similar. Can I install hacs and compact headers on a raspberry pi 3 and still run everything with no or little degradation?

My current hassio is version 110.0 and has integration of Sonos, Google assistant, Philips hue and about 12 zwave switches with a few automations.

Yes you can.

Thank you for your quick response. I have been doing some more research and I am deciding to upgrade to a raspberry pi 4 4gb and an SSD boot drive. I have read another typic that upgrading can give a significant performance boost. This gives me confidence that my setup will perform well. Plus would give me a way to fail back if I have trouble with pi 4 I can go back to the pi 3.

Thanks again