Is it possible to configure Home Assistant to work with the new Samsung 'smart' appliances?

I just upgraded my kitchen with a Samsung oven and fridge, and also have the washer/dryer and robot vacuum which can all integrate with the SmartThing hub. I’m trying to use Home Assistant to access/control all these devices.
Is it possible?
It sounds like the appliances can be accessed via API from this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/homeassistant/comments/837chb/samsung_washerdryer/

And somebody figured out the A/C unit, in this forum (I’m assuming access to all the Samsung appliances is similar)

I would love to be able to use Home Assistant to control everything, as of now I’m kind of stuck with SmartThings hub.

That article is written for the Smartthings Classic app. I think the Samsung appliances need to use the newer Smartthings app, which does not support the MQTT bridge. I’ve got both apps installed and the Classic app bridge working. I can only connect my stove to the new app, and it won’t appear in the Classic app. Smarthings has stopped approving new devices for the classic app, so it’s safe to say any future appliances won’t be working with that MQTT bridge. Smartthings promised a migration path from the classic app to the new app, but I’m fairly certain that’s B.S. They promised a migration path from the V1 hub to the V2 hub, and they hadn’t gotten around to it by the time they rolled out the V3 hub - so we’ll probably never see it.
If there is a way to get the new smarthings app to work with Hassio, I’d be delighted.

All software promises are BS until they arrive and work.

No one should buy anything based on the promise of future features.

But that is getting off topic. I suggest asking Samsung for their API.

1 Like

I’m guessing based on this that maybe it will eventuate…? I don’t use SmartThings so have no real idea about it but I saw that there is a change coming in the next HA version.

Thanks for the links. The article is a little confusing because I’m using hass.io on Raspberry Pi and it mentions installing mosca mqtt broker using docker (hass.io has official mqtt broker add-on) and a note that it is not compatible with raspberry pi. Also as RyanRayNeff mentioned you no longer have the ability to add new smart apps in new SmartThings app.

I will have to see if I can get this going in hass.io and SmartThings classic app.

The new SmartThings component listed above, is that currently available? If not, is that really planned for next release?

that link I posted is for the next release, coming out this week

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out! I had no idea that was in the works. It sounds like I’ll have to cut back on my Samsung trash talking now.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Smartthings component that just launched is for the Classic app, and not the new app that supports appliances. :C

When you add it to the class app it shows up in the new app as well, under automations.

Thank you! I’ll try it. Did you have any trouble with the self-signed certificates?

I have proper SSL certs from LetsEncrypt :wink:

I’ve added it successfully to the classic app. (It was WAY easier than the MQTT bridge!) I’m not seeing it under “automations” in the new app. Did you have to do anything beyond the basic config mentioned in the hassio docs?

Nope I just checked there and it showed up on it’s own. See if any new sensors populated for you. I know my Samsung robot vacuum showed up in it (it is a new app only device).

1 Like

Thanks for checking for me! It turns out that somehow a second location was added to my Smartthings apps, so Classic had one set of devices, and the New app had a different set of devices. I ended up nuking the whole setup and starting over, and now my devices are syncing between apps. In response to this thread - it looks like some appliances have restricted functionality in the Smartthings classic app, and that functionality is what gets funneled to Hassio. For example, I can set my oven temp in new Smartthings, but in Smartthings classic I can only see the temps, and then in Hassio I only get a temp sensor. For the past 2 releases, more Smartthings functionality has been added to the Hassio component. Fingers crossed!

1 Like

I know I’m super late to this, but this is the closest thread I saw to discussing my problem. I have some older Samsung Washer/Dryer units that I have been able to connect to the “New” Smartthings App (I previously used the Samsung Smarthome app, but it now tells me to change to SmartThings).

My appliances don’t show up in the SmartThings Classic App. Based on this last post, they should? Do they go both ways?

I also have the Home Assistant Smart App running in the Classic app, but no devices populate.

I think they should but I’m not really sure that you need the classic app anymore? It was previously required because the new Smart App did not have the ability to add the custom automation required for integration with Home Assistant, but I think that is resolved now.

From what I understand, the Samsung devices report their state to the cloud using your Samsung account, and the Samsung app and home assistant can access/change the device states in the cloud which are sent back to your device/appliance. So if the app and classic app are both configured to the same Samsung account, not sure why they would not appear.

Hi All,
Just installing a new Samsung 9850 range and disappointed that it looks like I need to use Smartthings. I have been trying hard to keep all automations strictly within Home Assistant and not use any “cloud” apps. ( except HAs cloud as it has never given me any reason to doubt the privacy policy)
Hoping in time there will be a more HA direct interface for this device. For now it will be isolated.