Is it possible to consigure ONE TCP sensor request and MULTIPLE sensors from the SAME (one) response?

Hello,

I have the following situation: I have a TCP service that returns a JSON with various fields and, currently, I have set up several sensors using TCP platform, each with the SAME payload but extracting different fields from the service response.

What I want to do is to avoid making multiple identical calls to the TCP service (because all data can be retrieve with a single call) and still have several sensors, one for each value/field returned as JSON.

example of my current config (two sensor with the same request payload):

- platform: tcp
    name: my_tcp_sensor1
    host: 192.168.0.1
    port: 11111
    payload: "{\"method\": \"service_method\"}\n"
    value_template: "{{(value|from_json).result[2].split(\";\")[0]|float / 1000}}"
    name: my_tcp_sensor2
    value_template: "{{(value|from_json).result[2].split(\";\")[1]|float / 1000}}"

Thanks in advance.

I can think of a way to do it that is fairly easy.

Just create a sensor that contains the entire data of “result[2]” then use that sensor state data in the other two sensors:

name: my_tcp_sensor
  value_template: "{{(value|from_json).result[2]}}"
- platform: template
  sensors:
    my_tcp_sensor1:
      friendly_name:  my_tcp_sensor1
      value_template: "{{states('sensor.my_tcp_sensor').split(';')[0] | float / 1000}}"
    my_tcp_sensor2:
      friendly_name:  my_tcp_sensor2
      value_template: "{{states('sensor.my_tcp_sensor').split(';')[1] | float / 1000}}"

that should work as long as the state of the first data sensor isn’t longer than 255 characters.

But without knowing the complete returned data I’m just guessing that it will work as expected.

1 Like

jq is probably a better tool than split for extracting json, but I agree with @finity

Shame you can’t do json_attributes like the rest sensor.

it worked, thanks a lot for the ideia!
Had to do some json juggling to fit everything I needed inside 255 bytes, but it is working! \o/

1 Like