Is it possible to load hass.io with berryboot

Please note I’m not endorsing any of the links here - they are just being provided so you get a better idea of where I am coming from.
I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+ and was loathe to commit a Home Assistant installation using just an SD card (based on the anecdotal experience of others with SD card failures (I also recognise that there are others that have experienced no bother)). So, to avoid these potential issues, I purchased a USB shield that supported a SSD drive. What I purchased was this SSD Shield and a 256GB SSD
256GB is an overkill, but was thinking about a lot of Grafana data when in production but, also in the interim to use it as a test bed to increase my knowledge and skills in LINUX type operating systems. I did not want either environment to interfere with each other.
One thing I was thinking of was to use BerryBoot to be able to boot into either environment at will. In production, I would just use hass.io
So, the question is has anyone been able to load hass.io with BerryBoot and are there any pointers you can provide?

1 Like

Just get another pi to play with.

I’m about to try it with iscsi on a synology nas… note that you always need a sd card.

1 Like

No. The installation methods are in the documentation.

hi,
are you successful at booting hassio from an iscsi connection ?
I am trying to do it on a rpi4, with the Boot from the sdcard, and trying to connect to partitions on iscsi on a synology.
This was working fine on rpi3 with hasbian, but hassio seems to use a squashfs image partition and i do not know how to access it.
kind regards

Did you get this working?

I’m looking for the same solution as Geoff for slightly other reasons. My SD card just broke but it took me a few days before finding a replacement card. I want to boot hass.io from SDD through the onboard USB3 connection of my Pi4. I’m using Berryboot to boot from SDD, not to use multiple systems.
Why?

• hoping the system will be a bit faster
  • with the new media source in home assistant: put some music on my system
  • no wear and tear of the SD card.

PS: I’m using Z-Wave through the GPIO connector: USB boot doesn’t work on 32bits OS and GPIO doesn’t work on 64bits OS

I assume you mean SSD? You don’t need berryboot to boot from SSD, but great that method works too.