Is it possible to read serial devices? ph meter, ec, temp?

I am working on my first home assistant project and have been coming along programming esp32’s for relays and humidity sensors, and writing some code for smart plug automation. My experience ends there. I am trying to connect an old “Martini/Milwaukee Mi 180 Bench Meter” and found the manual online at https://www.milwaukeeinst.com/es/db/doc/manMi180_ENG.pdf . I have no knowledge of serial or how any of this works but I have done a few hours of research with not many answers. From what I gathered this has different commands you can prompt for data and the unit will send the data which would need a template to be broken down into each sensors values (ph, EC, temp, TDS, NaCl)? Very new to this and wanted to know if anyone knew how to do something like this. I can’t get it to show up in terminal on my mac but that might be my fault, it doesn’t list anything special to put it in output mode. I went online and started to configure the serial yaml on home assistants page but am at a standstill with nothing I did bringing meaningful results. I really would like to use this meter as I got it cheap and can’t afford a new version as a college student. This is vital to the operation as those parameters are very important in hydroponics. Thanks

I think you’d be best to try an esphome uart integration, unless you can find a python library for the meters.

There are probably better ways to get hydroponic related values.

I understand it might be easier to use something else but this thing retails for $700+ and I got it basically free. That being said I would like to save some money if I can. I was looking into an atlas scientific shield but again thats at least 300-400$ on top of what I have now. From what I understand the bench meter should be outputting data and there’s got to be a way of intercepting it and converting it to different sensors using a template or something I just am having trouble setting up the serial connection and following through all that. I don’t know maybe its not possible I really don’t know much about it, but I would like to try a little more before abandoning the idea.

Of course.

What have you tried to connect with? If you have a windows machine, the easiest way might be putty.

As I say the uart/serial component of esphome might be a good way forward.

I really know nothing about programming but I found 6in1 wifi and ph meter that is compatible with tuya Smart and I rad that Tuya smart devices are compatible with home asistant i personaly orded the device with Jebao 3.4 Wi-Fi doeser and i’m going to use them in my hydropinic system through thire app bought from aliexpress still not arrived yet though

YIERYI Tuya APP Smart WiFi Online pH Meter with ATC,6-in-1 PH/TDS/EC/S.G/Salt/Temp Meter Rechargeable Multi-Parameter Wall-Mount Water Quality Tester suppliers,manufacturers,factories | Yieryimeters.com

I too have the Jebao wifi doser and wondered whether you had integrated into home assistant?