Is it possible to store HA OS backups on an external (USB) SSD on a Raspberry Pi?

Hello,
I am running Home Assistant OS on a RPI4 2GB and I want to connect an external USB SSD to it for backup storage (I am using a cloud storage for backup storage currently, but the 25GB that offers are being used almost all the time because I would - in theory - store 14 Backups with a size of 3GB each, but I cannot even store 7 of those plus all the partial backups…).
Is this possible with HA OS?
If yes, how?
I would like to know it before I pull the trigger on 85 Euro worth of hardware just to know that it works.

Best regards
Aaron

Have you looked at the Samba Backup add-on?

This can be used to save backups on another drive on your network - might be preferable to an external drive on the RPi.

If you’re going to get an SSD for the RPi, it might be worth running the whole of HA on it (I assume you’re using an SD card at the moment) - that would give very good value for money.

1 Like
  1. Unfortunately, I don’t have another computer in the network for backup storage
  2. I am currently running the RPI on an external USB SSD

There are some other options here: Backups.

Whatever option you choose, I would recommend you practice / test how to do a restore using the backup.

But could I just get the external (second) USB SSD to show up in the “Network Storage” menu so I can save my backups on that?

I believe the short answer is ‘no’ on Home Assistant OS. But it can be done on Home Assistant Supervised.
Long answer: Reddit - Dive into anything

This should definitely be a feature. Having backups on a separate SSD would make more sense than having them on the system drive. Even better would be the ability to make a bootable backup on a separate drive so that in case anything goes wrong with the system drive or the system there would be a quick way to get everything up and running.

Options already exist to move backups off the system drive: