Is it possible to use 2 zwave dongles in one HA?

Maybe stupid question, but is it possible to use two zwave dongles the same time in my RPI 4 with HA?
Because my current setup is not reliable and maybe splitting the zwave load over 2 dongles will help?

This is not possible currently, it may be with the new implementation of Z-Wave but I’m not sure. However I don’t think that 2 sticks will solve your problem. How do you notice it is not reliable? Do you have enought mains powered devices to form a good mesh?

Thanks for your answer.
A pitty.
I started a threat about this subject:

I do have a good mesh.
I’m migraiting from Homey to HA.
In Homey it was working fine.
I had the same setup.
And the same flows.
So I’m quit frustrated that it is not reliable.

It looks like my traffic is not that heavy.

I just think: I still have Homey running. having it’s own zwave.
Can it be inferencing each other?

Quite possibly. Especially if they are using the same dongle.

Though having said that I gave up on z-wave on home assistant. Too slow and unreliable. Not to mention the network initialisation required after each home assistant restart.

for me that means a lot of investment and time thrown away :hot_face:

One other solution I’ve seen posted here is to connect all zwave devices to a Vera and connect HA to that. Basically offloading all the zwave hub duties to an external device with more grunt than a USB dongle. Though I’m having trouble finding the thread…

Ahha! Found it (moved to top):

This wasn’t it but is similar:

Also this might be useful:

Yesss.
This looks like the answer!!
Thanks a lot

I still don’t know how to connect, to add devices and how to control from HA but I will digg into it.

You use this integration:

Thanks again!! :ok_hand:
I just did found that.
And then use just the same commands in node red with the right Id nr to execute commands as I do now?

I know nothing about node red but you will have entities in home assistant for your devices, just like before.

Thanks I will order a VERA very soon.

Forum alerted me that an old thread of mine was mentioned. Thought i would let you know my situation now. The Vera platform does some things better but in the end I returned to usb stick. The usb stick just performs better for me. And I know how to use HA/Zwave better then I did before.

I STILL use Vera though - I have a detached garage with network connection. Zwave can reach the house from the garage but there is a lot of latency. So, I use the Vera as a zwave hub in my garage which talks to HA over TCP.

if you want a used one let me know! i put one in my garage and have second i don’t use anymore. will let it go for cheap.

Thanks for your reaction.
Funny your back to the usb dongle.
I just started with the Vera yesterday and did bring over one Neo wallplug for a test.
So thanks for the offer
My idea is to split up my meshnetwork to Vera and the dongle.
I wonder what you did to get back to the dongle. I’m trying for 3 weeks now without succeeding to get a stable zwave, so I decided to go to Vera for a part.
Some devices only reacting in 20seconds or so, so suddenly they are runnig smooth. It’s driving me crazy. And can not find any strange thing.

A question: Straight from the dongle you have a lot off entities. From vera just one to switch the device.
In an other threat I did ask the next question:
Maybe you now how to handle.
I’m working in node RED:
My zwave with a dongle straight to HA was giving bad reliability, so I decided to order a VeraEdge as zwave hub.
I installed it and for test I paired a Neo coolcam wallplug.
It is vissible into HA and can control it by nodeRED so the basics are working.
If I connect a neo coolcam plug straight to HA I do have a lot of entities to act with. Also energie for example.
From Vera devices I only see one entity switch on and off the plug, no sensors.

I like to have the possibility to switch on energy usage.
At the tile on the overview I do see the energy changing. How to check on this in nodeRED without having the sensor entitie “power usage”?
I learned that it is a “state”, but how to read the state inthis case from:
switch.neo_10_kerst_raam_4
the state is named:
current_power_w

Knipsel

Just a thought on the alternative solution: there is a project called zwave2mqtt by OpenZwave - it could potentially allow running several zwave dongles around the house and have all the devices integrated into HA via mqtt discovery. I don’t own any zwave devices but I’m running similar config with zigbee2mqtt and tested having several instances of it with several dongles integrated into HA and it worked great!

this platform will be officially dead in the future. qt-openzwave is the future and similar to zwave2mqtt.

Also, I have 90 devices currently in my zwave. No issues what so ever. Not sure why @tom_l or @Canedje are having problems.

EDIT2: The only time i’ve noticed slowdowns on my zwave network are when a single device is not responding. For example, If I ‘turn off all the lights’ and one light doesn’t respond after the turn off, then you’ll get slowness on the next action. If you have a lot of shit devices, I could see this happening all the time.

How is it possible.
I realy don’t know what is causing my problem.
I only have 30 devices(19 meshnetwork devices and 11 battery devices) So if 90 devices is working fine I realy wondering.
I’m migraiting from a Homey with exactly the same devices.
At Homey everything worked fine.

I only have one unknown node I can not get rid of.
(any ideas how to remove an unknown node?)

Indeed there are some devices reacting very slow, which didn’t at Homey.
I think I all have qualfied good devices: Fibaro and Neo Coolcam.
But I wil investigate further

What’s your definition of slow?

there’s a process on the zwave page that shows you how to remove dead nodes.

The same devices sometimes react within 1 seconde (very fast).
But then it could be at the next trigger it will take about 15 to 20 seconds
Thanks for the link
I will have a look at it

EDIT:

I just removed the unknown node.
After reboot, the node is gone, but also two other nodes suddenly show: dead nodes?
One off them was always reacting very slow.

I hope heal network helps these nodes will be helping the reliability.
I will try tonight

EDIT2:

Uhmmmm. after a second reboot, the unknown node is back again??
I’m not able to remove the unknown node.
I tried severall times without succes

I’m running now VeraEdge, beside the Zwave.me USB (nice to be able to use 2 zwave systems beside each other)
Until now it is working nice and reliable.
I did pair 12 devices from the USB to Vera. I tried to keep 2 goed network meshes.
Thats enough to get a reliable network, so I’m happy.
I still like to know why it is not reliable.
So I will do some experientals to try.
any tips what or how to test?