Think I'm done

Every single zwave node, all 50 of them, are totally screwed. I can’t take it. Zwave is total garbage. GARBAGE.

It seems a recent update to home assistant, or the fact that ‘/dev/mapper/ha2–vg-root’ recently filled up the whole drive to 100% for no reason, I’m not sure which, renamed every single entity. Most of my automation are now screwed. I realize of course that this isn’t a home assistant problem and probably caused by zwave or openzwave.

Before I rip out everything and sell it all has anyone else had their whole zwave system go out? I have 50 devices. It takes days and days to get it all back together again. I do have backups of the whole /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant folder, going back 30 days if you think that might help.

Willing to shell out cash for alternative zwave solutions. Is there something else I can do? I am beyond frustrated. Should I get smart things hub and connect that to HA via MQTT? Anything! I will try.

:frowning:

I will say one thing don’t go through the pain of Smartthings bridging to HA. So glad I pulled the plug on ST last weekend. About to sell my ST on Ebay.

1 Like

From the looks of it, all of the devices causing me trouble seem to be those which I renamed within Home Assistant zwave config area. I saw a few posts about renaming zwave nodes and the method I used seemed to work until a few days ago, probably when I moved to .67 or .67.1

My whole house is f-ed.

Don’t freak out. I’ve been using a Vera Edge for some time now and it solved all my Zwave woes. Connect your Zwave devices to Vera, connect the Vera to Home Assistant via the Vera component, profit. You’ll even gain more Zwave range over a Zwave USB stick.

1 Like

There is hope??? I will look into this. If this works out man, I owe you. So much.

I will pull the trigger! Think the base model is okay? If you have amazon affiliate PM me a link and I’ll add to cart that way!

The Vera is quite good in my experience. And it’s pretty cheap too, if you’re in the US, you can get it on Amazon for like 65 or 80 bucks. What do you have to lose?

I’m using the Edge, its been perfectly fine for me. The Plus includes some ZigBee support so whether you want that or not is up to you.

I have nothing else to loose. Right now only a portion of the house works. If I don’t get the rest running soon my wife will kick me out and I will need a new home.

1 Like

I hear you! All I can say is that the Vera Edge I’m using has made me go from wanting to pull my hair out over Zwave frustrations (when I was using a USB stick) to forgetting that I even have Zwave devices - they just work now. You’ll see people complain about the Vera interface, and it does suck, but all you need it for is pairing your devices. Once that’s done, they just show up in Home Assistant like any other entity and you can do whatever you want with them.

1 Like

You sold me. I will report back. My home zwave mesh is massive. If this works out I will become the ugliest cheerleader for Vera.

Bless ‘same day’ Amazon delivery. Will probably have this thing in under 24 hours. Weekend booked.

EDIT: For Sale Aeotec USB Z Wave stick

have wink connected to HA . all my Z-waves are connected to Wink First Gen. Never stoped working , never had any problems from day 1. Love z-wave and wink.

Do you use any of the Vera’s control functions?

Or do you just use it as a bridge?

So, does wink or vera require internet in order to work? Asking for a friend…

Ha. I’ll find out this afternoon. I’m waiting for that Amazon van…

Why? Is the bridge too bad?
Is Vera better than the ST, for using it as a hardware hub only (no intention in using either Vera’s or ST’s software).

Well I know when internet goes down, ST will not work. The automations at least, I don’t know if the over-the-network communication still works.

Automations? But ST’s automations, right?
I’m considering it only as an hardware gateway. All the automations, logic and control would be on HA…

I never used it as a gateway, thats why i said:

But when i was talking about automatons, i was referring to the ST automatons.