Is possible to use Arduino Mega - Uno with ESPHome?

Hello.
I would like use some Arduino Mega and Uno with ESPHome.

I think it is not possible for the Mega2560. Am I right?

And what do you think about this board:

It combines Mega2560 + ESP8266. It would be a nice solution.

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hi mate, I am wondering if you managed to flash esphome on the mega2560? I have the exact same situation.

No.
The Atmega2560 is a completely different architecture than the ESP8266. It also doesn’t have enough ROM, RAM, EEPROM.

On the board in the OP, you could flash ESPHome onto the ESP8266, then for example connect it to the I2C ports on the Atmega 2560 for an I/O expander:

The ESPHome port expander does not support Arduino Mega, I have modified the project to add support for the Arduino Mega 2560, as I myself was looking for a solution. I know this is an old post, but I came across it when looking for a solution.

See my Github for the code:

2 Likes

Whatdo you need a mega for that a port expander can’t handle? I’ve yet to need more gpios than an esp8266 has.

@Fallingaway24 Good question, I have an Honeywell alarm panel. I wanted to add each motion, doors, windows, water sensors & smoke sensors to home assistant. I have a total of 31 sensors plus ill use it to control my 2 garage doors. I will also have room to expand if needed.

Use an AlarmDecoder.
https://www.alarmdecoder.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/29/osCsid/vh2drgdcp5rldim643872rapa6

Oh I see. If all the wires are run to a single location, that makes sense. I don’t have that luxury so the best solution for.me was lots of d1 minis and project boxes around the house. Added this one recently! Would be cool to see it come together If you don’t mind sharing. 20210830_172328|666x500

Yes that is true, your setup looks pretty good though.
I don’t have pictures of mine yet as I am still working on it.
I plan on using this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B081T2R76W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2OVMUS055KMW5&psc=1 to allow all my sensors (28) to plug in easily. I will post pictures here once I complete it.

AlarmDecoder was a good option, however it required all the sensors to be connected to the alarm panel.
Also, with the global chip shortage they were not available for purchase.

Thank you. It was a fun project. Are all your sensors and what not logic level voltage already? Looking forward to seeing updates along g your journey too.