Is there a problem with NetAtmo in the latest updates?

After the latest update of HA to 2021.6.6 I have problems with the Netatmo integration.
The entities are shown as unknown now.
I’ve looked at the netatmo service, and they apparently had some problems yesterday, so it could be repercusions from that, but HA still shows it as offline, both the integration and HA have been restarted.

I can’t be a general thing but I am happy to dig in to find the issue. There is are two issues on GitHub (1 & 2) which describes the very same situation. But right know I don’t have much details nor can I reproduce the issue.

I have had issues with my Netatmo cameras in HA for the last few releases.
The cameras had firmware updates around the same time, so I can’t say if it was an HA release or a firmware update on the cameras.

On a side note, my Netatmo doorbell shows better than ever in HA.

Are you using the Netatmo integration or HomeKit?

Netatmo Integration for the four Presence Cameras and HomeKit for the doorbell.

1 Like

Right, you mentioned that in the other thread. I need to take another look at the doorbell.

My netatmo is back, I had to reconfigure the main unit, at least tie it to the wifi again. It found a config, and asked if it should keep it, and then I just reselected the ssid, and it started working again. Very weird, I wonder if it had gotten a firmware update?

1 Like

I think I may have figured out ‘some’ of my Netatmo issues. I missed the ‘stream’ addition to the default_config and since I don’t use the default_config I did not have this added. I just went back and added stream to my configuration.yaml and now I have my non-homekit netatmo camera again (most of the time). They take way longer then they used to and seem to drop off every now and then. My doorbell which uses homekit works flawlessly.

I noticed the stream since I was adding energy.

Of course, as I am typing this the non-homekit netatmos all stopped displaying but I still get a browser “Waiting for xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx…”

I get the ‘streaming’ status with some of the icons when I use them in the entity card but not consistent.

Since I am the only one that seems to have the issue, I’m not sure where the issue lies.

Add stream definitely improved the situation, but I still have issues.

How is your camera connected to your network? Do you use a unifi AP?

I have a Linksys Velop Mesh.
I had no issues until a few months ago.

Hey Glenn,

Did you find a solution? My Presence camera seems to have gotten a similar problem. I have three cameras; a Google Nest, a Foscam and a Presence.

I never did use the stream component, because getting a still image updates in lovelace was sufficient for me.

But getting still images worked fine for all three cameras, until some weeks ago. Now the Presence camera stopped getting still images and the log proclaims a stream exception… The camera works fine in its own app.

Like you, I do not use default_config, so I tried adding the stream component to my configuration.

After a restart alle cameras now stream, but only for a few hours. Then the presence camera stops streaming while the other two continues. The presence camera works fine in the netatmo app. The logs in HA states a stream opening error now…

Then I can restart home assistant and the stream works for Presence for a short time again.

Since it works for the other cameras all the time, I think it might be due to a netatmo camera update also a few weeks ago…

Well for me (OP) it was a question of starting over on the netatmo config, and then relink it, then it got back, really weird.

Yeah, maybe I should do that…

It’s just that I have so many other netatmo stuff, and I would hate to reconfigure all that.

But I think I will give it a try, one of these days.

The short answer “NO”.
It has been hit and miss on my Presence cameras, I have 4 and a Netatmo Doorbell.
The doorbell is setup via homekit and works great, except for the 2021.9 HA update shrunk the viewing area.
For the Presence camera, I get images more often since the 2021.9 HA update but still not rock solid like it was was a few months ago.

1 Like

Today, I finally got to remove my netatmo integration and setting it up again.

Still no luck with a fresh start… The Netatmo presence wont show frequent still images when live view is disabled. And if I enable live view, I can actually see live view in home assistant for some time, but then it just stops working, until I restart Home assistant.

Camera works fine in the Netatmo app, and all my other Netatmo entities are working fine in homeassistant. Heck, I can even turn the camera’s floodlight on and off through home assistant - but no images… And still my Nest and foscam cameras are flawless.

Again I suspect a Netatmo camera update in August to be the culprit. I started having problems the day they upgraded the camera, and I had not updated home assistant recently.

I have the same issues. I think my next step is to get to the back of the cameras so I can setup via homekit like the doorbell. I don’t have any of the cards that came with the cameras, and I’ve read there is a homekit code under the back plate; I just have not had the opportunity to get a camera down and look at them.

Thanks for the information. Have you tried to restart/reboot the camera itself? I recently heard from a user with similar issues that the Netatmo API reported a false VPN address and that rebooting the camera solved the issue (at least temporarily).

Hi Fribert,

Could you elaborate on what you have done more than me?

I removed the Netatmo config in settings, rebooted HA, made sure there were no instances of netatmo in my configuration.yaml, rebooted my camera, rebooted HA, reconfigured netatmo through the settings including accepting the netatmo API, rebooted HA, rebooted the camera.

It did not work. Did you setup a whole new API at the Netatmo side?

I have some of my cameras on Shelly PM1s so I can cycle power and this has no effect on the images to HA.
The only camera that consistently works is the doorbell which is thru homekit.
A few months ago it was exactly the opposite where the 4 Presence cameras were flawless and the doorbell was intermittent.

I don’t know if it was coincidence or what but it did get better after I put ‘stream’ in my configuration.yaml.

In the time it took me to right this I have seen every Netatmo Presence camera go blank and come back 3 to 4 times each (exept one that has yet to show an image).

Like I stated before, I am going to attempt to connect a least one Presence via homekit if there is indeed a code under the back plate of the camera.

What would really be interesting whether this was affected by changes in HA/pyatmo or the Netatmo API. Unfortunately I can’t reproduce these issues locally neither in my personal nor my dev environment since I don’t own a Netatmo Presence (only a Welcome) camera and by thuse don’t have local access. Remote access seems to work fine as far as I can tell in my dev environment via “donated” access camera streams for Presence cameras.