Is there a problem with NetAtmo in the latest updates?

How is your camera connected to your network? Do you use a unifi AP?

I have a Linksys Velop Mesh.
I had no issues until a few months ago.

Hey Glenn,

Did you find a solution? My Presence camera seems to have gotten a similar problem. I have three cameras; a Google Nest, a Foscam and a Presence.

I never did use the stream component, because getting a still image updates in lovelace was sufficient for me.

But getting still images worked fine for all three cameras, until some weeks ago. Now the Presence camera stopped getting still images and the log proclaims a stream exception… The camera works fine in its own app.

Like you, I do not use default_config, so I tried adding the stream component to my configuration.

After a restart alle cameras now stream, but only for a few hours. Then the presence camera stops streaming while the other two continues. The presence camera works fine in the netatmo app. The logs in HA states a stream opening error now…

Then I can restart home assistant and the stream works for Presence for a short time again.

Since it works for the other cameras all the time, I think it might be due to a netatmo camera update also a few weeks ago…

Well for me (OP) it was a question of starting over on the netatmo config, and then relink it, then it got back, really weird.

Yeah, maybe I should do that…

It’s just that I have so many other netatmo stuff, and I would hate to reconfigure all that.

But I think I will give it a try, one of these days.

The short answer “NO”.
It has been hit and miss on my Presence cameras, I have 4 and a Netatmo Doorbell.
The doorbell is setup via homekit and works great, except for the 2021.9 HA update shrunk the viewing area.
For the Presence camera, I get images more often since the 2021.9 HA update but still not rock solid like it was was a few months ago.

1 Like

Today, I finally got to remove my netatmo integration and setting it up again.

Still no luck with a fresh start… The Netatmo presence wont show frequent still images when live view is disabled. And if I enable live view, I can actually see live view in home assistant for some time, but then it just stops working, until I restart Home assistant.

Camera works fine in the Netatmo app, and all my other Netatmo entities are working fine in homeassistant. Heck, I can even turn the camera’s floodlight on and off through home assistant - but no images… And still my Nest and foscam cameras are flawless.

Again I suspect a Netatmo camera update in August to be the culprit. I started having problems the day they upgraded the camera, and I had not updated home assistant recently.

I have the same issues. I think my next step is to get to the back of the cameras so I can setup via homekit like the doorbell. I don’t have any of the cards that came with the cameras, and I’ve read there is a homekit code under the back plate; I just have not had the opportunity to get a camera down and look at them.

Thanks for the information. Have you tried to restart/reboot the camera itself? I recently heard from a user with similar issues that the Netatmo API reported a false VPN address and that rebooting the camera solved the issue (at least temporarily).

Hi Fribert,

Could you elaborate on what you have done more than me?

I removed the Netatmo config in settings, rebooted HA, made sure there were no instances of netatmo in my configuration.yaml, rebooted my camera, rebooted HA, reconfigured netatmo through the settings including accepting the netatmo API, rebooted HA, rebooted the camera.

It did not work. Did you setup a whole new API at the Netatmo side?

I have some of my cameras on Shelly PM1s so I can cycle power and this has no effect on the images to HA.
The only camera that consistently works is the doorbell which is thru homekit.
A few months ago it was exactly the opposite where the 4 Presence cameras were flawless and the doorbell was intermittent.

I don’t know if it was coincidence or what but it did get better after I put ‘stream’ in my configuration.yaml.

In the time it took me to right this I have seen every Netatmo Presence camera go blank and come back 3 to 4 times each (exept one that has yet to show an image).

Like I stated before, I am going to attempt to connect a least one Presence via homekit if there is indeed a code under the back plate of the camera.

What would really be interesting whether this was affected by changes in HA/pyatmo or the Netatmo API. Unfortunately I can’t reproduce these issues locally neither in my personal nor my dev environment since I don’t own a Netatmo Presence (only a Welcome) camera and by thuse don’t have local access. Remote access seems to work fine as far as I can tell in my dev environment via “donated” access camera streams for Presence cameras.

It is not consistent that is what makes it difficult to figure out what the issue is. It may have been the relatively recent push on homekit that broke the streams or could be something else. It works sometimes but not everytime and usually not for very long stretches.

I guess it is reassuring to know that others have the same issues. I would like to know if there are any configuration differences between my setup and those that do not have any issues.

I didn’t do more, but then again, I only have the weather station part, not cameras and stuff like that.

Just to be clear, rebooting the camera completely fixed my problem.

I really had 2 problems :

• Netatmo API reported a wrong local_url, so the integration set it to null and switched to cloud mode.
  • The vpn_url (used in cloud mode) wasn’t updated in HA. According to the Netatmo documentation, it’s supposed to expire after 3 hours. So after 3 hours, I wasn’t able to see the live stream.

Now after a few days, it seems like both my local_url and vpn_url are right.

I’m not sure it’s the same issue as @GlennHA and @Samsonice though. I changed my Wifi (and all my network configuration really, I got fiber :sunglasses: ) a few days before noticing the issue and I guess that the camera doesn’t report its new local IP address to Netatmo when you change it.

The chapter Video access in this page really helped me understand my problem. If you’re logged in you can try the API directly on this page and compare the results with your entity attributes.

edit:
When I say “cloud mode”, I mean that the integration use <local_url>/live/index.m3u8 when local_url is set to get the live stream and <vpn_url>/live/index.m3u8 when it’s not. That’s what I call cloud mode.

2 Likes

Thanks for your detailed insights.

Just a follow-up.

Today, I upgraded HA to 2021.10.5 from 2021.9.x, and now HA receives snapshots from my presence camera again.

So I guess it must have been some bug introduced in the 2021.8.x version. A bug that now seems fixed.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Actually I think this was related to a firmware update on the Netatmo side, but regardless, it is fixed now and good to know it is working now.

I very rarely get any snapshots from anything other than the doorbell; however, I do like the ability to now see the recorded events directly in HA. The Media Sources seem to only work for my four Presence cameras and not the doorbell. I don’t know if that is due to being different systems or due to the fact that my doorbell is setup via homekit controller.

I’m not sure when media sources was added since I don’t use the default config. I periodically look at what is included and see if I am missing something I may want. I don’t know if others knew about this or I just completely missed any mention of this by anyone else. I did not notice the ability to view recorded events until 2021.10.

The issue is twofold. The Netatmo integration currently does not support the doorbell camera since Netatmo did not yet release an official API for it. Therefore there are no entries for that device in the media browser. I have no idea about whether the homekit integration supports this feature in general and specifically for the Netatmo doorbell camera.