Is there a way to pair more than 15 devices with zigbee2mqtt?

Hi! I sucessfully flashed a CC2531 USB sniffer with Koenkks zigbee2mqtt firmware. Everything works fine and I was able to pair some Xiaomi and Tradfri devices. But I cant pair more then 15 devices. I read something that it should be possible to pair 48 devices. Does anyone have experience with that?

You should get another cc2531 and make a router, that’s what I did, works great to surpass 15 devices.
Here’s an extract from zigbee2mqtt wiki:

Network size

The CC2531 USB sniffer zigbee2mqtt firmware has a limit of 15 direct children. This means 1 coordinator + 15 end devices and 0 routers.

However by adding routers to your network you can overcome the limit of 15 devices. This means that, e.g. a network of 1 coordinator, 4 routers and 50 end devices is possible.

I agree with @lv-88 that adding another cc2531 and making it a router is probably the best way to go - have just done that myself (more for range rather than number of devices).

I believe that different firmwares have different max device limits, with Koenkk saying that the firmwares with the higher limit were less reliable.
That said, check out https://github.com/Koenkk/Z-Stack-firmware/issues/10 if you really want to go down the single sniffer path.

This can also be done by adding powered devices like bulbs and Trådfri smart plugs to your zigbee network as they also will act as routers.

Would someone happen to have a guide as to how to make a router using multiple cc2531’s please?

No… You can just use a bulb, plug or any other device which act as a router.

I’ve got 39 devices at the moment - only one coordinator

I flashed my C2531 Sniffer with the CC2531ZNP-Prod-44-devices.hex firmware from glentakahashi. This firmware has a limit of 44 devices and works fine for me. I’ve tested it with 30 devices

Showing my ignorance here but… does this mean the three Osram zigbee bulbs in my youngest’s room gives me an instant 60 device limit for no more effort?

Well… 48 For shure (4 routers) 15 direct children

But more then 48 could be a problem, the memory of the cc chip.

https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/issues/26

I already got a second cc 2531 for testing purposes. (Dev branch & co )
When it comes to it and want more devices I will grab another pi and set up a second network. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

Hi @LooP
really the glentakahashi/Z-Stack-firmware support 44 devices in a single CC2531 usb stick?
If I flash it in my CC2531 usb stick it will become a zigbee coordinator and it will support 44 zigbee devices?

Hi @vpomax, yes! I tested it with the glentakahashi/Z-Stack-firmware and it works fine for me.

did you manage to find a guide? I could use one.