Is there a way to see what the esp chip is doing straight from powering it up?

Are there known better or not so good usb flashers out there? Maybe i got one of the bad ones?
Which is would be recommended by you guys?
Will tripple check the solder pojnts tonight and will swap out the cables.
Crazy, such a simple task as flashing an esp and i dont get this one done

Quality can definitely vary. I cannot recommend a specific one. I just know mine hasn’t given me trouble. I cannot remember where I bought it (and the world is a big place), but perhaps try a reputable shop to where you can return it if faulty.

What are you using as power source?

Power source is the usb flasher, tried 3.3 volt and tried the available 5 volt header

Haha here is only amazon available, not sure what u have available but i miss my goodl old Konrad

There have been problems with Chinese factories making bad and illegal copies of the FTDI adapter to such an extent that Microsoft have a special driver that do not work and the name say that it might be an illegal copy.

i will get a second/different one and see if that is curing any issues…besides the resoldering of my header pins…
just to strange in total…

Hm… that can be the culprit… usb adapter is usually not powerful enough for esp32, which can draw well over 0.5A at spikes. Try with (at least 1A) external power supply.

1 Like

Microsoft intentional roled out a driver that actually should brick counterfeits. In this case windows wouldn’t detect the adapter as a serial device anymore - obviously this didn’t happen here according to the presented logs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/comments/2k0n9b/new_windows_update_bricks_fake_ftdi_chips/

Also your use of the word “illegal” is quite amusing in that context (and obviously wrong again) as they are just unlicensed “copies” of the original (and all of the counterfeits I own do perfectly work).

They just stop to work you allow microsoft to brick them

And don’t forget to tie all grounds together for that!

1 Like

It bricks it because you cant use it, but you can force install the old driver and then it works.
I have one of those adapters, al though a Prolific one, but same same.

Again you are riding the wrong horse. The author has no problems with his serial adapter detected and used correctly by the OS. The problems are between the serial adapter and the esp32…

Your post mostly sounds like FUD to me. Nothing to do with the question raised…

When windows report that it cant open the com port then it normally means it can not communicate with the USB device.
Windows can normally open the com port without anything connected at all.
At least that is how it is for my devices, whether I use my Profilic, Cisco serial-to-USB or a bootstrapped NodeMCU.

Maybe there is devices behaving differently. I have just not seen them yet then.

Relax guys…no need to argue…
I am happy over any input…
How would i introduce the extra power to the setup?
Cant imagine that i can just jerry rig an old USB charger and plunge it on it?

Anything that provides very stable power. This is particularly important during the flashing phase when more power will be drawn. Some (most) cheap USB adapters will be problematic. Try what you have, but keep this in mind.

I have a separate, high quality 3.3V and 5V regulator that I can use on my breadboard when programming chips, but actually the power from my Mac’s USB ports are fine, so I rarely have issues. Just mind this: Most modern PCs and Macs have a high power USB port. Initially, these were dedicated ports. But now it can be any port, so best to make sure you have nothing else like an SSD plugged in that may compete for this power (and might’ve grabbed the assignment before your programmer).

You can use a powered USB hub

i just meassuered between GND and chip shield to see if i have a constant io0 ground and got 27k ohm…is that considered grounded io0 or good?
At this point i am actually grabbing every straw…
Next…i saw that people flash via eptool but they have bootlaoder bin and main bin …where can i obtain those files?
All i have is legacy or modern file format from esphome web download…

Does this loom like a successful flash?

INFO Successfully compiled program.
Found multiple options for uploading, please choose one:
  [1] COM3 (USB Serial Port (COM3))
  [2] Over The Air (192.168.178.29)
(number): 1
esptool.py v4.7.0
Serial port COM3
Connecting....
Chip is ESP32-D0WD (revision v1.0)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 34:94:54:fa:07:c4
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 460800
Changed.
Configuring flash size...
Auto-detected Flash size: 8MB
Flash will be erased from 0x00010000 to 0x000e6fff...
Flash will be erased from 0x00001000 to 0x00007fff...
Flash will be erased from 0x00008000 to 0x00008fff...
Flash will be erased from 0x00009000 to 0x0000afff...
Compressed 878992 bytes to 584230...
Wrote 878992 bytes (584230 compressed) at 0x00010000 in 14.0 seconds (effective 503.7 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.
Warning: Image file at 0x1000 is protected with a hash checksum, so not changing the flash size setting. Use the --flash_size=keep option instead of --flash_size=8MB in order to remove this warning, or use the --dont-append-digest option for the elf2image command in order to generate an image file without a hash checksum
Compressed 25632 bytes to 16092...
Wrote 25632 bytes (16092 compressed) at 0x00001000 in 0.7 seconds (effective 291.7 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.
Compressed 3072 bytes to 134...
Wrote 3072 bytes (134 compressed) at 0x00008000 in 0.1 seconds (effective 390.1 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.
Compressed 8192 bytes to 31...
Wrote 8192 bytes (31 compressed) at 0x00009000 in 0.1 seconds (effective 681.0 kbit/s)...
Hash of data verified.

Leaving...
Hard resetting via RTS pin...
INFO Successfully uploaded program.
INFO Starting log output from COM3 with baud rate 115200
[14:39:32]rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))
[14:39:32]waiting for download```

So, sinde the rts pin was not connected while i was doing the flashing and it states hard resetting via rts pin i did connect it.
Plugged flasher into usb and the leds went crazy and it booted…
Now i have this baby running again on my usb port, esphome shows me every data and i just updated esphome via ota…but when i unplug it all and bring it downstairs to the breaker box to its original power…all i get it that darn power light…
What does this RTS pin do…and why in the world does it occaisionally trigger this thing to boot

How? What exactly is the source? What voltage?