Is there a way to see what the esp chip is doing straight from powering it up?

well…now i get the same answer from the other flasher…
i guess measurring the voltage via the header pins was a disaster
Or what could that message mean now?
Looks like it is still talking to something, right?

Do you have a terminal on the same com port? You can’t monitor the com port and flash the device over the same com port at the same time.

how do i do that? when i flash via chrome console on com3, i canot access com3 via command line since it says busy…
Would love to see what it does, thats for sure

You flash the device, connect the serial terminal, reboot the device.

Ok, we have to specify the flashing that you do/have in mind and what i am doing.
I am using the esphome windows command line or the chrome web console via home assist.

C:\Windows\system32>esphome run firstemporiavue2.yaml
INFO ESPHome 2024.5.0
INFO Reading configuration firstemporiavue2.yaml...
INFO Detected timezone 'America/New_York'
INFO Generating C++ source...
INFO Compiling app...
Processing energymonitor1 (board: esp32dev; framework: espidf; platform: platformio/[email protected])
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Verbose mode can be enabled via `-v, --verbose` option
CONFIGURATION: https://docs.platformio.org/page/boards/espressif32/esp32dev.html
PLATFORM: Espressif 32 (5.4.0) > Espressif ESP32 Dev Module
HARDWARE: ESP32 240MHz, 320KB RAM, 4MB Flash
DEBUG: Current (cmsis-dap) External (cmsis-dap, esp-bridge, esp-prog, iot-bus-jtag, jlink, minimodule, olimex-arm-usb-ocd, olimex-arm-usb-ocd-h, olimex-arm-usb-tiny-h, olimex-jtag-tiny, tumpa)
PACKAGES:
 - framework-espidf @ 3.40407.0 (4.4.7)
 - tool-cmake @ 3.16.4
 - tool-esptoolpy @ 1.40400.0 (4.4.0)
 - tool-idf @ 1.0.1
 - tool-mconf @ 1.4060000.20190628 (406.0.0)
 - tool-ninja @ 1.9.0
 - toolchain-esp32ulp @ 2.35.0-20220830
 - toolchain-xtensa-esp32 @ 8.4.0+2021r2-patch5
Reading CMake configuration...
LDF: Library Dependency Finder -> https://bit.ly/configure-pio-ldf
LDF Modes: Finder ~ off, Compatibility ~ soft
Found 2 compatible libraries
Scanning dependencies...
Dependency Graph
|-- noise-c @ 0.1.4
Building in release mode
Retrieving maximum program size .pioenvs\energymonitor1\firmware.elf
Checking size .pioenvs\energymonitor1\firmware.elf
Advanced Memory Usage is available via "PlatformIO Home > Project Inspect"
RAM:   [=         ]  10.5% (used 34256 bytes from 327680 bytes)
Flash: [=====     ]  47.5% (used 872417 bytes from 1835008 bytes)
============================================= [SUCCESS] Took 8.93 seconds =============================================
INFO Successfully compiled program.
Found multiple options for uploading, please choose one:
  [1] COM3 (USB Serial Port (COM3))
  [2] Over The Air (192.168.178.29)
(number): 1
esptool.py v4.7.0
Serial port COM3
Connecting....
Chip is ESP32-D0WD (revision v1.0)
Features: WiFi, BT, Dual Core, 240MHz, VRef calibration in efuse, Coding Scheme None
Crystal is 40MHz
MAC: 34:94:54:fa:07:c4
Uploading stub...
Running stub...
Stub running...
Changing baud rate to 460800
Changed.
WARNING: Failed to communicate with the flash chip, read/write operations will fail. Try checking the chip connections or removing any other hardware connected to IOs.
Configuring flash size...
Warning: Could not auto-detect Flash size (FlashID=0xffffff, SizeID=0xff), defaulting to 4MB
Flash will be erased from 0x00010000 to 0x000e6fff...
Flash will be erased from 0x00001000 to 0x00007fff...
Flash will be erased from 0x00008000 to 0x00008fff...
Flash will be erased from 0x00009000 to 0x0000afff...
Compressed 878992 bytes to 584230...
ERROR Running command failed: Packet content transfer stopped (received 8 bytes)
ERROR Please try running esptool.py --before default_reset --after hard_reset --baud 460800 --port COM3 --chip esp32 write_flash -z --flash_size detect 0x10000 'C:\Windows\system32\.esphome\build\energymonitor1\.pioenvs\energymonitor1\firmware.bin' 0x1000 'C:\Windows\system32\.esphome\build\energymonitor1\.pioenvs\energymonitor1\bootloader.bin' 0x8000 'C:\Windows\system32\.esphome\build\energymonitor1\.pioenvs\energymonitor1\partitions.bin' 0x9000 'C:\Windows\system32\.esphome\build\energymonitor1\.pioenvs\energymonitor1\ota_data_initial.bin' locally.
INFO Upload with baud rate 460800 failed. Trying again with baud rate 115200.
esptool.py v4.7.0
Serial port COM3
Connecting......................................
ERROR Running command failed: Failed to connect to ESP32: No serial data received.
For troubleshooting steps visit: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esptool/en/latest/troubleshooting.html
ERROR Please try running esptool.py --before default_reset --after hard_reset --baud 115200 --port COM3 --chip esp32 write_flash -z --flash_size detect 0x10000 'C:\Windows\system32\.esphome\build\energymonitor1\.pioenvs\energymonitor1\firmware.bin' 0x1000 'C:\Windows\system32\.esphome\build\energymonitor1\.pioenvs\energymonitor1\bootloader.bin' 0x8000 'C:\Windows\system32\.esphome\build\energymonitor1\.pioenvs\energymonitor1\partitions.bin' 0x9000 'C:\Windows\system32\.esphome\build\energymonitor1\.pioenvs\energymonitor1\ota_data_initial.bin' locally.

where would i do what to see the output

Go back to whatever your configuration was at post 38.

Post a schematic of how you are connecting the com port.

header connected
header
Those are the connections…pictures taken from here: My full instructions for doing this on Windows with Home Assistant's ESPHome add-on · emporia-vue-local/esphome · Discussion #195 · GitHub
But flasher and headers are identitcal
i sometimes use io0 or rst, havent found a reliable way yet what which actually does for me, since it never acts the same…
Output from post 38 was done with 3.3 volt header and 3.3 volts set on flasher.
Already tried to reproduce but now get this “cant get to flash…”
So either my "new flasher with cp210+ chip ruined it or my previous voltage measurement while hooked at original powersupply did something to it…not sure…
But since i work on this thing everything i thought i knew about flashing those from previous falshing is out the window

IO0 - Ground this pin before applying power to the board. This puts the ESP into the flashing mode. After you apply power it doesn’t matter whether IO0 is grounded or not.
RST - Reboots the ESP when grounded.

The ESP is a 3.3V device. When you apply 5V to the 5V pin, there is likely a 3.3V regulator on the board and you should see 3.3V on the 3.3V pin. I would appreciate the versatility as some UARTs supply 5V and some provide 3.3V. 5V on the 3.3V line will smoke the ESP. (Trust me).

If you are using a terminal program to monitor the COM port, you must stop the terminal program to flash, then after the flash finishes you can run the terminal program again.

I generally flash my ESP devices manually. That is, in ESPHome I will “install” to a binary file, then use ESPHomeFlasher on the PC to flash the ESP.

1 Like

Ok, in my last attempt i even soldered the rx pin directly to the esp32 pin 35. Still cant communicate to flash chip.
I think he is dead. I am open to every idea