Is there an option to reduce the cooldown of a Phillips Hue Motion Sensor?

Hello,
I have a Phillips Hue Motion Sensor connected over the hue bridge and the cooldown (motion detected → HA Sensor switches on → ~10s with no motion-> sensor in HA switches off ) in which it can’t retrigger is very annoying. Is there any way to reduce or remove that cooldown (or to work around it so it can instantly re-trigger an automation after ‘no motion’)?

Would it help if I would buy a ZigBee Stick and connect it over this instead of the bridge?

Are there better sensors that work with HA over the hue bridge (or with no bridge at all over WiFi or BT ?) and don’t have that cooldown period?

Best Regards
Aaron

Hue already has one of the shortest, stick change would not help. Possibly you can build one yourselves with esp but not sure how they perform

Best Motion Sensors for Home Assistant – Make It Work Tech (makeitwork-tech.com)

Interested to know what type of thing you are looking to do that requires motion to trigger more often than 10 secs. What’s the use case here?

You could use a helper, that f.e. would clear after 20s.
If motion is detected, restart the helpers counter

How would that help? The trigger, i.e. the motion sensor is still in a state indicating ‘detected’…new motion in front of that sensor won’t change that.

Other though, though not making it less costy, is a rf433 or somethingm they usually do fire-and-forget so should be responding quicker…but I cannot guarantee this for the motion sensor, my vibration, door sensors send signals with every action.

My 433 motion sensors don’t send a ‘no motion’ message, so that could be a solution.

I actually built my own motion sensor using an ESP32 board and a PIR module, which detects motion nearly real-time.

Thanks for the advice
Aaron

Thx, care to share which materials, esp. the PIR?

@vingerha:
Here are all the parts I used:

The ESP was actually a M5Stack Atom Matrix which I had laying around.

For the PIR, I used a M5Stack PIR Unit (PIR Motion Sensor (AS312) | m5stack-store)

Door Sensor

I also added some kind of “DIY door sensor” as I call it which is just two jumper wires attached to the doorframe and a piece of aluminum foil put on the door itself, which looks like this on my door:

with the aluminum piece put onto the door with some double-sided tape like this:

where it is important that it gets in contact with the two jumper wires.
That DIY sensor can then be wired and read like any other door sensor, and works pretty well.

The reason I didn’t buy a ready-made door sensor for this was that I
a) didn’t want to spend the money
b) didn’t want to set up another hub / network just for this

Best Regards
Aaron

1 Like

Appreciated, as I also have a (low prio/urgency) case with a … yes… HUE sensor

May I know what your issue/case is with this HUE Sensor?

My worDing was not correct, no issue with the HUE sensor itself but with its cooldown too.
Thuis sensor is placed in an area with at-times quite a bit of movement and I donot want this to trigger things each/every time. The 10+s colldown is not helping in identifying if the new detection is indeed the 2nd or that it missed 3 or 4 during the cooldown period. I tried a presence detector Aqara FP1 which helps a bit.