Recommendations for a quick motion sensor?

I recently bought a tuya bulb + PIR sensor to test if this would be a cheap solution for automatic light switches. Turns out it is not, as far as I figured so far, the delay is noticable (3-5s) and this does not bring any convience, even worse, I am annoyed every time now when I walk into the room :smiley:

This could be due to the tuya integration, which is communicating with china, but I think it is also related to the sensor itself. Turning on the bulb for example in HA or the tuya App works fine in under a second.

I tried local tuya, but it shows an error, but nothing I can fix I assume.

Unexpected exception: [Errno 113] Connect call failed ('192.168.178.62', 6668)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/config_flow.py", line 595, in async_step_configure_device
    self.dps_strings = await validate_input(self.hass, user_input)
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/config_flow.py", line 242, in validate_input
    interface = await pytuya.connect(
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/config/custom_components/localtuya/pytuya/__init__.py", line 1182, in connect
    _, protocol = await loop.create_connection(
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1085, in create_connection
    raise exceptions[0]
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/asyncio/base_events.py", line 1069, in create_connection
    sock = await self._connect_sock(
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/asyncio/base_events.py", line 973, in _connect_sock
    await self.sock_connect(sock, address)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/asyncio/selector_events.py", line 628, in sock_connect
    return await fut
           ^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.11/asyncio/selector_events.py", line 668, in _sock_connect_cb
    raise OSError(err, f'Connect call failed {address}')
OSError: [Errno 113] Connect call failed ('192.168.178.62', 6668)

However, is there a known motion sensor that works as quick as for example ikeas integration? I read that Zigbee is quicker than W-LAN, so I suppose that is a technical advantage.

Maybe a Aqara P1 ? I plan to remove all bulbs with a Shelly 1P / PM in the future. I do not need different light brightness or colour in my bathroom for exmaple. Saving a few bucks on the bulb will make the transition to shelly cheaper.

Pops-up quite a few times … have a look here
Is there an option to reduce the cooldown of a Phillips Hue Motion Sensor? - Hardware - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I use an XiaoMi Aqara motion sensor via Zigbee and it’s quite reliable and responds quickly enough.

1 Like

I mostly use Z-Wave, but between that and Zigbee my motion sensors are nearly instant. Have you tried Local Tuya? I wonder if it’s because it has to go to the cloud and back before it really does anything.

I literally answered all your questions in my post :smiley:

Thought the same, but bulb is quick via Cloud. Sensor is not. Tried tuya local, does not work :frowning:

Z-wave would mean annother connector, not a fan of that. Already have homematic, ZigBee and wifi

Think I will try the aqara @FredTheFrog - are you using the P1?

I honestly don’t know, this is one of two identical XiaoMi Aqara motion sensors I purchased directly from AliExpress two or three years ago. The model number is RTCGQ01LM

Use a cloud-based device and you will see occasional delay. Or sometimes not work at all. This is why there are no cloud devices on my system of 60-70 devices. (I haven’t done an inventory lately.)

Depending on the chip used you may be able to flash ESPHome to the Tuya device.

I have a few PIR devices around the house and sometimes the 433MHz devices are slow to respond. The others are a mix of Zigbee, Z-wave and WiFi devices and those all show no delays.

I recently acquired two Screek mm-wave devices that already have ESPHome flashed to them and my testing is showing impressive sensitivity and response time. I plan to replace the two PIR devices in my garage with them.

2 Likes