Is there any interest in UPB?

There is a feature request open for UPB (needs votes!). I’m wondering if anyone else is interested in this feature. If so, maybe we can get a group together for a bounty and find someone to write it.

Here is the existing feature request.

1 Like

Yes. I have been using UPB devices at my home for about 9 years and would like to control them using Home Assistant.

I think this would be very helpful for people who are looking to integrate HASS into established setups.

Yes. Please do add support.

Well, with UPB we have the same issue as with ever other hardware which is not widely used, a developer usually needs physical access to the devices to reset them, disconnect them, and flash different firmware releases to make the implementation works. It seems that none of the developer is using UPB. This means that we depend on contributions by the community.

My Elk M1 integration is a work in progress, not yet ready for PR, but if you have an Elk M1 connected to your UPB system it should work for basic lighting control (on/off/dim/etc) since Elk supports UPB along with several other flavors of lighting control, and maps them all into it’s original X10 support (which means support for things beyond the basics that X10 can do is rather limited). Setting it up is a bit wonky at the moment, but check the Elk M1 thread if you have one and want to try it.

If you don’t already have an Elk, I’m not sure I’d recommend this approach since vs trying to get a native implementation developed since it’s not cheap for the purposes of just interfacing UPB (you’d need the Elk alarm/automation system itself, plus a serial expander to talk to the UPB serial interface).

If a developer can get started on it I can give them access to my system.

I can contribute some code but I don’t know enough to write it entirely. I’ve written some very hackish integration which I have been using to limp along.

1 Like