Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Mattmon, care to share the CSS modifications you’ve done to make Bubble card work? I know it’s not gonna be pretty, but I just want a starting point for not having it be way to wide on my vertical display.

https://s3.us-east-1.wasabisys.com/filestash-buk/lenovo-thinksmart-view/combined_kingston_a11_gogapps.7z

I’m using:
card mod, layout card, stack card, swipe, grid card, kiosk mode and a bunch of CSS for sizing and transparency. Most of the cards are mushroom cards. The config is too big to post, below is a link to the files. 1st is the for clock which is a custom sensor. 2nd is the full backup of the yaml for the dashboard.
Filebin | scmgqvj2iczynwhc

1 Like

Thanks very much - really appreciated :grin:

Anyone have any ideas on h.264 playback in HA and/or media player ideas?

I did it with scaling and margin. Though I’m confident this is a foolish way to go about it.

Highly suggest asking in the Bubble card thread for suggestions on how to properly implement.

Any of them.

kingston-ha-rom is not a complete dump, it’s only what I changed.

The roms posted by @deadman96385 on xda are complete dumps.

My thought is to bring your unit to a “known good” state, before flashing the custom rom.

You can still use edl to flash the xda roms, substitute rawprogram_unsparse.xml and the img files from within the archive in your edl command.

If anyone is looking for a smooth dashboard option on this it might be worth looking at HA Fusion GitHub - matt8707/ha-fusion: A modern, easy-to-use and performant custom Home Assistant dashboard

It isn’t lovelace based so runs a lot smoother on lighter hardware. It also is very easy to put a nice looking dashboard together due to the drag and drop capability. It’s still an early project but I already use it as a daily driver on my wall tablets and it works great.

2 Likes

No software news from discord, deadman hasn’t chimed with any updates in a while, must’ve gotten busy with other things.

Just trying it - it has huge potential and is really easy to edit. Good stuff.

Thank you for letting me know!

I flashed Kingston userdebug yesterday and then flashed your ROM right after but I am still observing WiFi disconnects that only gets solved by a restart.

When this state occurs, going to the wifi settings shows no discovered networks. Toggling the wifi on and off also has no effect.

That is what I saw as well. However, I have only had the issue a couple of times.

I’m not great with any of this, but I think I followed your instructions properly. When I try to run the command from the first post in git bash I get an error that python can’t find the ‘main’ module. I’m 99% sure this is user error, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!!

I just found out about this project when someone made a post about it on my voice competition entry ( View Assist - Visual feedback for Assist voice assistant on an Android tablet ) . This looks like a match made in heaven! I’ve ordered a device and hope to get things running on it as soon as it arrives. Would love to hear any thoughts or additional features that would make things even better.

4 Likes

What directory are you in? What’s the output if you enter the command ls?

1 Like

I extracted the edl-3.52.1 folder onto my desktop and am opening Git Bash in that directory. Here is the output from the ls command.

`$ ls
Drivers/ MANIFEST.in edl.py* kingston-ha-rom.7z setup.cfg
Example/ README.md fastpwn modem/ setup.py*
LICENSE diag.py* flash/ pyproject.toml
Loaders/ edl/ kingston-ha-rom/ requirements.txt

The latest “release” of edl was from August 2021, but there’s been many updates to it since then. Instead of downloading it like you would a normal file, try cloning the repo using git instead using this command:

git clone [email protected]:bkerler/edl.git
2 Likes

I’m super excited to see work on robust voice functionality.

I think @dinki is really on to something with his View Assist project.

I just cast my vote in the voice assistant contest. If you’d like to see view assist on our thinksmarts, then go check out the project and vote!

3 Likes

That got me further, but I didn’t install the edl requirements. i got that sorted and am able to launch edl. I get to waiting for device, then I power up while holding vol up and vol down and get this.

$ ./edl qfil bin/rawprogram.xml bin/patch0.xml flash/ --loader=bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn
Qualcomm Sahara / Firehose Client V3.62 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2023.
main - Using loader bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn ...
main - Waiting for the device
main - Hint:   Press and hold vol up+dwn, connect usb. For some, only use vol up.
main - Xiaomi: Press and hold vol dwn + pwr, in fastboot mode connect usb.
        Run "./fastpwn oem edl".
main - Other:  Run "adb reboot edl".

.......Segmentation fault

1 Like

You followed the other instructions about installing the libusb-win32 drivers for the device and replacing edl’s libusb-1.0.dll file right? I vaguely remember running into segmentation faults before I got it all figured out.

1 Like

Good catch, I did on the zip version I downloaded, but forgot to after I cloned the repo. That got me further, no more segmentation fault. Thank you for all the help so far, I really appreciate it!!!

$ ./edl qfil bin/rawprogram.xml bin/patch0.xml flash/ --loader=bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn
Qualcomm Sahara / Firehose Client V3.62 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2023.
main - Using loader bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn ...
main - Waiting for the device
main - Hint:   Press and hold vol up+dwn, connect usb. For some, only use vol up.
main - Xiaomi: Press and hold vol dwn + pwr, in fastboot mode connect usb.
        Run "./fastpwn oem edl".
main - Other:  Run "adb reboot edl".

..............main - Device detected :)
sahara - Protocol version: 2, Version supported: 1
main - Mode detected: sahara
sahara -
Version 0x2
------------------------
HWID:              0x000660e160008000 (MSM_ID:0x000660e1,OEM_ID:0x6000,MODEL_ID:0x8000)
CPU detected:      "APQ8053"
PK_HASH:           0xb9eca30dfea4693497b6ac7eec81d006967281e259eb9ac239f9ce6dabb70c14
Serial:            0xf82f94c1

sahara - Protocol version: 2, Version supported: 1
sahara - Uploading loader bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn ...
sahara
sahara - [LIB]: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn'

I got past that. I had the bin folder in the flash directory. Working my way through the rest of it now.

I was never able to get this flashed via windows. I was able to do it with a Ubuntu Live USB following the instructions for linux linked at the top of the thread.

3 Likes