Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Is $40 for these still considered a good deal? Seems like they doubled in price in the last month or so.

They’re still $40 on Amazon

That looks good - can you share your config please?

I emailed the squeeze player developer and was sent an older version of the app that does not contain the Google app store verification. I’m currently struggling to get fully kiosk to keep the app open in the background, how is SB Player doing for you in that regard?

Has anyone been able to get the device to wake using the proximity sensor in Fully Kiosk? The app seems to have an option that very reliably turns the screen off when the proximity sensor detects my presence, which unfortunately is the exact opposite of what I want to happen.

Right, but the low point from mid-December to early January was about half that price (as per Keepa). Is $40 still considered a good deal for these?

In my personal opinion, this was a complete steal at $40. This is a reasonably well-powered 64-bit ARM device with very solid build quality. Throw in this wonderful dev community interested in the device and I think it’s a no brainer, I’ll be ordering two more tomorrow.

3 Likes

Thank you – exactly the kind of statement I was looking/hoping for. Will get one as well – thanks!

1 Like

I’m just using the HA app, but no issues playing music with the SB Player in the background. Does great auto-starting everything on startup too, as well as reconnecting when I restart HA or Music Assistant.

I agree. A relatively modern Qualcomm based device with a nice form factor and good build quality.

There is virtually zero competition at a $40 price point.

2 Likes

I wish I could get thes for $40 equivalent in the UK - small number on Ebay for used devices, let alone new sealed are around £100 mark each!

I did just buy a couple from a US Ebayer and waiting them to get to a freight forwarder. Let’s see how much they try and rip me off for shipping. Probably around $65 for the two.

Original MSRP was $349, fwiw :slight_smile:

I have two devices turning up in a couple of weeks once the freight forwarder has forwarded the freight :wink: Excited!

So, this ROM is still the preferred option I believe? Ho far are we from being able to fully use the ROM being developed on the other thread?

The 8.1 rom in this thread (Or the unmodified roms on xda) are the current “stable” recommendations.

The others do work and offer significant improvements, however are not yet at parity with the 8.1 rom in terms of ease of use, polish or stability.

If you have strong technical/troubleshooting skills and have a reason to experiment with the newer software, then go for it!

If you want to flash and dash, then this rom is still your best bet.

When @FelixKa and @deadman96385 feel that thier developments are ready for general consumption, there will be a link at the top of OP to thier respective threads.

2 Likes

Thanks. I do have strong tech skills but I obviously need to wait for my devices to arrive!

@Endlessvoid posted instructions to install the gsi.
The biggest issues right now with the gsi are wifi instability and screen wake difficulty.

There are also preliminary images for postmarketOS in the open source rom thread.
PMOS does not yet have:

• a working touchscreen driver for all hardware variants
  • mic input
  • camera support (probably never will)

I personally believe that PMOS will become the preferred ROM for this device.
@FelixKa has made a TON of progress in porting the base rom, and I think our community is going to step up to help him make it awesome (I know I am!)

1 Like

Sounds good. Are there many hardware variants with this device? I’m happy to test if I have one that’s different or you need extra people to test.

Ordered mine. A litte bit pricier here in France. But under 80€ new, which is cheaper than a standalone Android tablet.
Can’t wait to install and test.

Check out the open source rom thread.

You can use dmesg in the 8.1 rom to determine which screen variant your device has.

1 Like

I’m currently using the Android 11 ROM. No issues I can see. I went with the 11 because 8.1 doesn’t support mutli-app access to the mic simultaneously. This helps with the HA wakeword using the Hotword plugin. The wakeword works great in a silent room, starts throwing false positives with music or TV playing. I still need to tweak the thresholds. The vertical dashboard is what I use on my phone, just happened to fit perfectly. The horizontal dashboard I built specifically for this device. I added swipe to the dashboard so you can swipe through the other dashboards; Lights, Switches and Cameras or just use the buttons. I’m also using Fully Kiosk.

9 Likes