Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Still figuring that out - there have been various posts about screen turning on/off. I’m running the HA app and fully kiosk single app so need to play a bit more. I know several people are having issues.

Ideally I’d like to remotely turn it on/off via a presence sensor.

I’m using the android 11 ROM posted in this thread with HA, Fully Kiosk and the proximity sensor configuration from Blakadder. You can set the screen shut off time and it simply turns on when approaching it.

2 Likes

With that ROM - do you get the flickering as the device turns back on and fades up to full brightness?

I’ve seen the other posts on that ROM - any downsides?

The “flickering” I believe is just HA refreshing the screen. I say this because I noticed when modifying the dashboard, then accessing an idle device, it comes up with the old dashboard for about 1 second and refreshes to display the changes. It also comes out of sleep in vertical display and switches almost immediately.

So is there anything missing from the ROM you’re running?
I might try that tomorrow on my other device.

These are my notes from the build:

Flash with current firmware using Qfil
Put Thinkview into developer mode
Settings
• Configure WiFi
• Screen lock = none
• Configure device name

Install Homeassistant
Install Automagic using ADB (for proximity)
Install Automate from playstore (for Hotword flow)
Install HotWord Plugin from playstore
Install Full Kiosk Browser from playstore
• Set fully kiosk start page to http://XXXXXXXXXX/lovelave-mobile2/0
• Use the dashboard account for access
• Set Fully Kiosk power setting to not keep screen alive
Configure proximity sensor: Use Proximity Sensor to Wake Screen on NSPanel Pro and Tuya Smart Home Panels | Blakadder's Smarthome Shenanigans
Configure Hotword plugin
Configure Automate routine for Hotword

3 Likes

My Hotword routine is posted here: Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA? - #555 by G3tiTD0n3

Thanks for that. I’ll go over it tomorrow.

I think my ideal setup is to have HA turn the screen on via one of my mmWave presence sensors which also does auto lighting. Do you think that’s possible at the moment?

Yes. One way it can be done is with paid apps such as Tasker and the mqtt plugin. I’m doing it this way for other wall tablets (not this one yet), and it works very reliably.

The downside to this method is that it’s pretty heavy and assumes you have an mqtt server already running. It’s likely tasker’s home assistant plugin can do exactly the same thing if you don’t want to run mqtt, but I haven’t tried it firsthand yet.

Hi G3tiD0n3 (btw, love the username), does the backlight actually go off, or does the screen just dim with your configuration? I’m on the 8.1 ROM, and as I said, I’m see all kinds of wackiness with regard to screen brightness (no honoring adb settings) and the backlight going off most of the time using the “Back Light Off” from XDA, and Automagic, but not 100% of the time, and I can’t figure out why.
Thanks!

Thanks. Sounds positive. I’ll explore a bit this weekend. I don’t currently have MQTT although used to run it.

I use fully kiosk now and that seems to be quite reliable.

1 Like

getting back to you here. So I went with the A11 Rom presented in post #440, it works quite good so far.

• fully kiosk mode running
  • squeeze player starting in the background from the kiosk

Available in LMS as a player, and home assistant in the background. Very happy with that (for now)

Out on a limb here, but would we be able to use the USB as a DAC / audio output? I have a USB DAC here that I’ve used with phones before (audioquest dragonly red), that would make the lenovo even more versatile as a ‘media player’ of sorts.

Anyone experience with using the USB as an output instead of an input?

1 Like

I’m going to give the A11 ROM a go today.

So when you say fully kiosk - do you mean web or single app version? So far I’ve been using the single app version.

Does it play audio ok?

fully kiosk web, opening home assistant from there (and squeeze player in the background)

Thanks. Does squeeze player work ok?

So is A11 the new recommended installation or should i stick with the firmware in the first post? Just trying to determine what firmware is getting the most attention/fixes/improvements. TIA.

It should work, I’ve used these as USB hosts for octoprint.

Linux

Thanks. How stable is the linux stuff and is there a how to anywhere on the installation? I had A8 working well and tried A11 but wasnt able to connect to wifi for some reason so i couldnt get much of the setup going. Flashing A8 back onto it for the time being but would love to get the latest and greatest going on this.

Edit: after flashing A8 back onto the devices, i am stuck at the blue HA splashscreen and nothing loads. adb doesnt detect the device, it just sits. Any ideas?

I’m currently having a love/hate relationship with A11. I’ve got it mostly working but have had some really weird issues with apps crashing for no reason and worse getting in a state where it crashed to Lenovo logo and only a factory reset would bring it back. I’m not saying don’t try it but I will say I spent several frustrating days with it.

All said, I’ve got it running Wallpanel and IP Webcam with control via Browser Mod. Browser Mod does provide it as a media player entity with HA. Also, you may want to install an updated version of web view as the one included does not have some of the newer CSS stuff.

I have some notes written on my View Assist wiki that may give some insight.

3 Likes