Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Hi there! I am struggling with installation rom form the first post via qfil on windows 11. Disabled drivers signature enforcement/. That’s interesting, when I try to flash this rom I have an error {ERROR: Bad magic: 0 probably not processing a sparse image
But when I try to flash an original rom for Teams from xda it succeeds.
Has anyone had this problem? Any ideas appreciated

1 Like

OUCH! Got View Assist going on the device and looks great but no sound is disappointing.

Is there perhaps an Android app that HA can see as a media player and play music to?

Android 8.1 audio isn’t the best.

This isn’t a problem with the GSI.

Suggest trying @Endlessvoid’s instructions.

Recommend flashing from Linux. There is a lot of documentation and people to help you.

It is possible to do it from windows, though YMMV. The driver and tool situation is a bit of a mess.

Even if you aren’t familiar with Linux, it’s still probably the easier option.

I’m getting the same error, did you manage to sort it out?

Just as a note, to maybe make things a bit more convenient: If you installed edl as per the README.md instructions in the repository (specifically also the git submodule update --init --recursive part which fetches the loaders) you don’t need to manually supply the loader. The EDL Loaders repository has the required loader.
That should make the edl commands a bit shorter as you can drop the whole --loader argument, e.g. edl w boot kernel.img.

The best way I’ve found to use EDL (on Linux) is in a python venv. Essentially this:

git clone https://github.com/bkerler/edl
cd edl
git submodule update --init --recursive
python -m venv venv
. venv/bin/activate
pip install -r requirements.txt
pip install -e .
ln -s ./venv/bin/edl ~/.local/bin/edl

After that you should be able to use edl from anywhere (given ~/.local/bin is in your $PATH, which I believe is true for most common Linux distros).

I can’t speak to using it on Windows as I don’t use Windows myself and don’t have experience setting up Python and the required device drivers on Windows.

3 Likes

Have been following this and the smart clock 2 threads for some time and looking out for deals and a few popped up in my area.

Would this to confirm if the Smart Display 8" will work or if it is a totally different product?

Finally flashed through Linux, thank you very much! It’s really much simpler than through Windows

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this. It got me up and going. All seems well except I cannot rotate to landscape mode. Any advice on how to accomplish?

I asked about this earlier and it sounds like it wont work with these displays, however you can temporarily root these and get it to run full blown apks (ie. HomeAssistant). (Lenovo Smart Display 8" & 10") (Amber & Blueberry) AVB/Bootloader Unlock, Firmware | XDA Forums Its not great, but its at least giving these dead(ish) devices a second life.

I got my two devices today and have spent all afternoon trying to get one flashed - Tried a variety of linux distros and Windows 11. Finally managed it after a lot of extra steps and installing additional software on a RPi 4 with Debian (R Pi Lite from the R Pi imager) - maybe that was why as some stuff missing.

Anyway, I got one partially working but I’m wondering what’s missing as I don’t have chromium webview (unless it doesn’t show on the app screen? The Aurora store asks for a login but doesn’t load anything.

Just to check - this was part of my log when flashing. Are those missing .bin files meant to be missing? They don’t physically exist in the kingston-ha-rom.7z file unless I’m being really stupid?

firehose_client - [qfil] raw programming...
firehose_client - [qfil] programming /home/pi/edl/kingston/bin/rawprogram.xml
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/NON-HLOS.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/sbl1.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/sbl1.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/rpm.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/rpm.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/tz.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/tz.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/devcfg.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/devcfg.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/adspso.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/sec.dat doesn't exist!
firehose_client - [qfil] programming /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/splash.bin to partition(0)@sector(655360)...
firehose -
Writing to physical partition 0, sector 655360, sectors 22528
Progress: |██████████| 100.0% Write (Sector 0x5800 of 0x5800, ) 4.64 MB/s
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/emmc_appsboot.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/emmc_appsboot.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client - [qfil] programming /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/boot.bin to partition(0)@sector(790528)...
firehose -
Writing to physical partition 0, sector 790528, sectors 65536
Progress: |██████████| 100.0% Write (Sector 0x10000 of 0x10000, ) 6.22 MB/s
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/recovery.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client - [qfil] programming /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/system.bin to partition(0)@sector(923648)...
firehose -
Writing to physical partition 0, sector 923648, sectors 3145728
Progress: |██████████| 100.0% Write (Sector 0x300000 of 0x300000, ) 5.72 MB/s
firehose_client - [qfil] programming /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/vendor.bin to partition(0)@sector(4069376)...
firehose -
Writing to physical partition 0, sector 4069376, sectors 786432
Progress: |██████████| 100.0% Write (Sector 0xC0000 of 0xC0000, ) 5.66 MB/s
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/cache.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/persist.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client - [qfil] programming /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/oem.bin to partition(0)@sector(5307456)...
firehose -
Writing to physical partition 0, sector 5307456, sectors 204800
Progress: |██████████| 100.0% Write (Sector 0x32000 of 0x32000, ) 6.16 MB/s
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/mdtp.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/lksecapp.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/lksecapp.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/cmnlib_30.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/cmnlib_30.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/cmnlib64_30.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/cmnlib64_30.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/keymaster64.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/keymaster64.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client - [qfil] programming /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/resource.bin to partition(0)@sector(6161424)...
firehose -
Writing to physical partition 0, sector 6161424, sectors 729088
Progress: |██████████| 100.0% Write (Sector 0xB2000 of 0xB2000, ) 5.73 MB/s
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/userdata.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/gpt_main0.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client
firehose_client - [LIB]: /home/pi/edl/kingston/flash/gpt_backup0.bin doesn't exist!
firehose_client - [qfil] raw programming ok.

Thanks.

This was a really important comment actually, since I kept on ‘trying’ to get rid of the ‘file not found’ messages without success haha!

Great work though, bought one in Europe on ebay for 75€ including shipment, not a ‘steal’ but not bad at all!

2 Likes

So it’s normal yes?

Got it working :slight_smile:

These are bloody brilliant - thanks @mattmon for all your hard work on this. Very excited to see developments and what else can be enabled :slight_smile:
I’m off to buy more!

3 Likes

As you found out - yes.

1 Like

Have you tried rotating it?

yes seems to work ok - I really like it portrait too

@mattmon Thanks for all your hard work in putting this together. I received my first device a couple days ago and after some trial and error, I got it flashed and working! I have one question for those of you using Fully Kiosk Browser…Has anyone successfully been able to get Fully to turn the screen back on with motion from the camera? I have my Samsung tablets set to this and they work flawlessly, but I can’t seem to dial in this Lenovo. Anyone?

1 Like

Why didn’t I think of that?

2 Likes

I’m going to buy https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.bluegaspode.squeezeplayer today and see if this works in combination with LMS (logitech media server) which I prefer myself and is integrated great with HA.

Please share what you find. I have gotten past this using the A11 ROM but I am still seeing some stability(?) and other oddities that may push me back to the HA ROM that has media playback issues from webview.

1 Like