Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Based on this thread, there are a variety of folks (including myself) using Home Assistant on 8.1 without performance issues. It sounds like the issue is specific to your setup.

3 Likes

Btw this is my main dashboard for the device. Absolutely love it :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Looks great :ok_hand:
I like that energy graph, pretty cool to have power consumption data at a glance!

Everyone please keep posting your dash shots :star_struck:

HA dashboards can be very JS heavyā€¦ reign that in some and your performance on embedded devices will improve significantly.

Lenovo definitely didnā€™t do us any favors by building for armv7. Though, the new developments by @deadman96385 and @FelixKa have the potential to really uncork the performance potential of this platform.

2 Likes

While it would technically be possible to build the Kernel (both msm-3.18 and msm-4.9) for arm64 many of the proprietary support libraries and blobs are built only for 32-bit. While it may be possible to piece it back together by scavenging the internet for sources to some of them I would definitely deem it impossible for the camera unless someone leaked the actual, adapted-by-Lenovo full source BSP for this board.

I think Lenovo went this route because with 2GB of RAM there isnā€™t a whole lot of benefits and a few drawbacks to using a 64bit OS. But it also means they will lock themselves out of future updates of the apps these devices are supposed to run (Teams or Zoom). Now that I think of it: Does the stock ROM on these devices actually have a way of updating those client apps? :thinking:

1 Like

64 bit wifi blobs are definitely floating around on xda.

I realize Iā€™m probably the minority, but camera functionality isnā€™t important to me.

1 Like

The devices that come with stock Android can be managed by the Enterprise admin, using office365 admin console updates of different types can be pushed!
These devices will be managed by MDM type of software, enforcing corporate policy and settings.

2 Likes

The Wi-Fi driver is actually available as source directly through Linaro: CodeLinaro / la / platform / vendor / qcom-opensource / wlan / qcacld-2.0 Ā· GitLab

100% with you there.

2 Likes

Have you tried installing this app? Companion App which sends discovered BLE devices information to the Companion Bluetooth Proxy custom component of Home Assistant. I presume you may need HA Companion App installed as well, not sure.

Very nice, I like it.

Can you reorganize it so that it can start with a static image, then transition into the animation?

I completely rebuilt everything on my PC (no simple feat on windows) and flashed again, unfortunately I am seeing the same error when attempting a factory reset and the device still wonā€™t boot. I took a look at the recovery logs and notice this line repeated about 20 times right before I attempted the factory reset:

failed to open /sys/class/android_usb/android0/state: Permission denied

Does anyone have any ideas to get my device back in a useable state?

Edit: When attempting to access adb via the bootloader I also receive a Permission denied error: ā€œFailed to open driver control: Permission deniedā€. Is it normal that these are inaccessible?

How is this? Or do you think itā€™s better to start with a full HA logo including the circuit nodes?

6 Likes

Thanks for this! :blush:
But, after searching further, I believe the btproxy functionality needs to be baked into the normal companion app. At least I found a couple of feature requests for that.

Wow this thread is moving fast!

Can I ask for a ā€œcurrent state of playā€ summary, please?

As I understand it:

the OP still has the original 8.1 debug ROM, which works except for audio volume and inability to back to sleep after first wake (on some devices).

There is a Linux based ROM I progress, moving very fast but not stable enough for regular use yet. Progress is tracked in a separate thread linked from OP.

Is there another version floating around? Are there workarounds for the known issues in the 8.1 ROM? For a new user coming to this thread for the first time, what path do we recommend?

2 Likes

Mine (with 8.1) goes to sleep, only using ha companion.
The only time it doesnā€™t, is when I select a different dashboard, but when going back, with the virtual soft keys, it resumes turning the screen off

Not sure what is the status with HA companion itself, but from F-Droid and Github

(HACS custom component) GitHub - kvj/hass_Bluetooth_Proxy

Android 11

Iā€™m new to discord. When clicking the link I just get a page that appears to be greyed out with a title of Lenovo ThinkSmart View. What am I missing?

The 8.1 rom at the top of this thread is still the recommended OS.

There are other exciting options in the works, but if you want ā€˜flash and dashā€™ itā€™s your current best bet.

If you want to use the bleeding edge stuff, then you should have a strong technical basis and good troubleshooting skills.

Iā€™ll post links to the upgraded roms in OP once thier developers feel they are ready for mass consumption.

6 Likes

But when flash rom from first post how reset it -wipe data ? When run it with volume up , it run me TWRP and any button no reaction, also screen no reaction. I can not do wipe dataā€¦

Even better than the last!

Hereā€™s a bit more insight into the boot logo flow:

On power up, the bootloader displays the static image from splash.bin for about 5 seconds while the kernel is booting.

Once the kernel mounts system.img, it loads the animation and loops it until android is ready.

So, IMHO, an ideal boot logo begins with a fully formed HA logo which is then able to transition seamlessly into the animation (which should itself, loop seamlessly or be of sufficient duration).

Youā€™re almost there :slight_smile:

I think some unitā€™s shipped with broken recovery firmware, where its impossible to activate any menu selection. Flash recovery.bin from one of the latest teams roms on xda and you should be able to execute the wipe.

2 Likes