Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

I have two of the Lenovos set up and running. Both are doing extremely well with the exception of one issue. I’m using Fully Kiosk Browser and the Wallpanel HACS extension to handle a controllable screen saver. I have discovered that Fully Kiosk will go to a blank, white screen on occasion. Exiting Fully Kiosk gives a usable system, but re-entering Fully Kiosk returns to a white screen. Rebooting clears the problem up.

If the WallPanel screensaver is disabled, the problem doesn’t occur.

A work around is to disable Hardware Acceleration in Fully Kiosk. When Hardware Acceleration is disabled, this problem doesn’t occur.

Hi Markus, is the device on android 8.1? i have issue with screen size, it’s not displaying in 100% accurately. I have a bit of a cut off at the bottom of the screen, can you tell me whats the trick to get it 100% full? thanks

Hi, yes, android 8.1. I changed scaling in settings of the device. Settings > display > advanced (mine is set to German so might be called differently) > display size. Set it to small

Just a thought on this, if you’re still stuck, have you tried reflashing the debug firmware instead of the custom home assistant firmware? That should rewrite/repartition everything and hopefully get you back to square one.

I just got it back to a working state, here’s what I had to do:
-Set up a windows machine with the qfil program and signature verification disabled, running in test mode
-Flash the stock Teams/adb firmware (from XDA) which seemed to rewrite everything correctly
-Then I could reflash the HA 8.1 firmware and connect adb to finish out the process

What a headache!

Which hotword plugin worked for you?

Alright I think I have something that should work quite well then. The first frame with the outline can be used as the static image (I can make a high resolution screencap in After Effects once required as well.). Furthermore, I can extend the loading ring animation relatively easily with some copy pasting and dragging, so making it of sufficient duration should not be a problem with this version :smiley:

Starting with a full home assistant logo is possible too, although I’d have to think about how that can transition nicely into the house without the circuit (to go into the animation where they are revealed subsequently).

Another option could be having Home Assistant as text the initial static image and having that zoom out of frame as the animation starts.

7 Likes

it’s called “HotWord Plugin Free”. I’m using this with Automate and a wake word of Alfred. I added a 10 second delay and an android back command to the end as HA Assist remains on the screen after running the command. Also, loop the last command back to the first or Automate will close the routine.

3 Likes

But how i can flash only recovery.bin ?

Thank you @G3tiTD0n3!

1 Like

I flashed another one (first was done by @mattmon thanks!) on Win10 and have a few hints/suggestions:

1. I ran into the “NotImplementedError: Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform” as others here have, solution was to change the driver with Zadiq A SECOND time from QUSB_Bulk to WinUSB
  2. edl command needed to be run as “python edl …”
  3. had error of “FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘flash/bin/rawprogram.xml’” and just copied the 3 files into a new directory of that name. Then it finished successfully flashing
  4. if you just need adb for windows, you can download it at SDK Platform Tools release notes  |  Android Studio  |  Android Developers then the adb commands need to refer to the folder where you unzipped adb into and with “adb.exe” of course :slight_smile:
1 Like

Update about device wake up. I followed this tutorial by [Blakadder], download the app and the xml file. Found that I need to change the distance to 5 if I am sitting on a desk and the device is about 50cm from me! It wakes the screen based on the duration set in the app.

3 Likes

yes thats what i already set as. but still not showing in full (see the bottom cutout)

wow, it flawlessly worked! thanks a lot @mattman for the topic and @stevemann for the linux tutorial :slight_smile:

Swipe the navigation bar down.

1 Like

That, or set it to auto-hide

1 Like

im am such an idiot!!! hahaha thanks!

1 Like

I’m loving this device as our new dashboard! Smaller screen real estate makes it a bit challenging to fit everything on one screen, but now it finally looks good enough to share.

With the combination of custom sidebar, hidden HA UI, and liberal use of custom button cards, this is what I have now.

9 Likes

are you using the 8.1 or the 11 ROM? I’m not seeing a value for the “Current Value” in Proximity Sensor. All permissions allowed for automagic

EDIT - seems a classic reboot was needed.

1 Like

So I tried the instructions in the OP on the device I’d previously gotten to load the Android 11 ROM, I was able to flash what looked successfully after installing edl from the github repository. Device would load to the blue Home Assistant logo screen but wouldn’t load. Tried reflashing multiple times to no avail.

With some experience on flashing these devices now, I went back upstairs to my office and loaded “191011.0035 Kingston Userdebug (Qcom Diag Mode active)” from the XDA Forums link using Win10 so I’d be starting from a known-working state. I was able to flash this firmware, however I appear to have lost EDL access on the device; it worked once, but it wanted the Android POWER button to select an option which this device does not have. After power-cyclling, holding Vol+ and Vol- on boot just boots normally after multiple attempts. Once booted, I verified it’s not user error as both buttons work normally. I may need to play with this device further to re-unlock EDL boot.

In the meantime, I do have another device new-in-box that I’m going to try to flash using the files in the OP and QFIL on Win10. The first device may be stuck in an unfortunate state, however if I can get the other one working then I can always play with the first device at my leisure to find what I broke and try to fix it.

Edit: Okay, it’s definitely user error; on the new out-of-box device I’m having issues entering EDL boot consistently. Got it once on the Linux PC in the basement and I was messing up the file paths so I couldn’t flash. Decided to bring the unflashed device upstairs into the office, I can’t get into EDL despite nothing being flashed. This does give me hope for the other device at least, I’ll see if I can consistently get this to work.