Is this the perfect standalone tablet for HA?

Sold out sadly.

They come up now and then on there.

Iā€™d add to the install process that with the amount of messing around on windows, someone could download 20.04 livecd, flash it to a drive, boot and install everything they need and get the flash done in about 15 minutes start to finish.

With windows youā€™ll be messing with python and the USB drivers for way more than 15-20 mins.

1 Like

Would someone please share how tall the device is, lying sideways and standing up? The official dimensions are not too clear. Thank you!

Is the SD-8501F compatible with this mod?

I managed to snag 2 in the sale but one was doa and the second I can not get it to work I tried all the methods in this thread checking the path over and over and trying to ever suggestion. Tried the git hub pgale and even the 2 xda methods but always error out here. It uploads then canā€™t find the file even though I am looking right at LOL and its find the other files I think. Using my usb c hard drive cable and tried another amazons basic one and both did the same. Thanks in advance for any help given.

sahara - Uploading loader /home/edl/kingston-ha-rom/bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbn ā€¦
sahara
sahara - [LIB]: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ā€˜/home/edl/kingston-ha-rom/bin/prog_emmc_firehose_8953_ddr.mbnā€™

Youā€™re trying Mattmonā€™s install with those commands?

Try a USB-2 port rather than USB-3. If you donā€™t have one, try an older device that does, or a basic USB Hub inbetween.

Yes, I tried all variations on this thread, I was using an old dell opti with usb 2 and using a usb cable that came with a hard drive figure it should be a data cable, I tried with linux and windows, Also tried with my amazon basic cable that the reviews say may or may not be data depending on the batch.

I tried your guide on my gaming pc with a usb c to usb cable for my dslr and usb 3 figured with all the warnings on your GitHub I would have another fail but I had success thanks to your wonderful guide. Thank Youuuuuu!

Now I just to figure why one of them is dead out the box and will not power on.

Thatā€™s great to hear :slight_smile:

For the DOA - maybe try the rescue app?

Iā€™m sure you have already, but if not, do try the power supply from the working one on the DOA one just in case it is the power supply at fault rather than the unit.

1 Like

That was the first thing I tried, just tried pushing it in more to get power but still nothing, good idea on rescue app, I didnā€™t think to plug it in and see if windows sees even though screen is black. I thought it might me that stupid rubber seal so I push harder to make sure I have good contact and I do since I busted out the bottom of the rubber

I checked with Lenovo and warranty expired in 2022. to bad woot sold out replacing is gonna a be pain.

Yeah, thereā€™s no warranty from Lenovo as these are discontinued products. You might be able to get a replacement from Woot though as they have them in stock fairly regularly. Might have to wait a few weeks or a month though.

I was thinking of buying an E-ink display to show me things (mostly just a week calendar), but stumbled upon this device, more features (touchscreen, colour, better resolution,ā€¦) and cheaper somehow, I found one but the product number is different; ZA690008SE , does anyone know if itā€™ll just work with this version?

EDIT: Just ordered one, worst case it doesnā€™t work and Iā€™m out of some money.

You should be ok as long as itā€™s described as the Lenovo ThinkSmart View. I have seen multiple product codes with these.

Hey fellas! Iā€™m considering picking up a ThinkSmart View. Is the result of the instructions in the original post a somewhat stable device? Like everybody else Iā€™m intending to use it as touchscreen for a Home Assistant dashboard. But installation aside, Iā€™m not looking to do much more tinkering. Iā€™m very much a rookie in this area.

So, howā€™s the end result working for those of you whoā€™s tried it?

Iā€™d appreciate any views or experiences.

It works great for that. I use mine as a basic weather station, to pick music to play, and to show the status of my door locks. I use the camera to detect motion to turn the screen on when I get close to it or to turn on a light; otherwise, it just screensavers to a clock, which is great for night. I plan on picking up another one if I can grab it again for under $30.

My write up here:

And my guide to installing Lineage 15.1 which is an Android based OS:

2 Likes

I want to buy this for the speaker quality and volume to play remote notification sounds, mostly. Because most speakers for home assistant are super silent.
For the rest iā€™d like to remote start a video to play on this device(if baby makes sound it activates the video stream of the baby cam)

Does those two functions work well? For the rest it would be nice to make the display go dark or off, and on when we are around, using other devices for presense detection. But ofcourse when the screen is off i still need it to display video when i want to. Not that i can no longer send commands because it goes into a standby mode.

Thanks!

Edit: and i read about issues at many posts/threads. Is wifi and camera fixed/working?

Edit2: Oh and how do you find the microphones? Are they sensitive to pick up voice from say 5 meters away?

Got mine yesterday as an utter newbie.
Trying to install Lineage 15.1 from a Raspberry Pi 4 (raspbian) following Pgaleā€™s guide (My normal windows machine doesnā€™t have USB2) hit some walls almost instantly, probably because I had no idea what I was doing when installing half the stuff (PIP didnā€™t work, python3.9 also never worked it seemed.)

Tried a testmachine I have, live boot ubuntu didnā€™t work, probably same issue as above, no idea wth Iā€™m doing.
This machine doesnā€™t let me install Windows. (blue screen) so I put everything onto a USB drive, drove to my parents.
Followed the windows instructions on their computer and it ā€œjust workedā€ā€¦ (Apart from the part that was said to be \user\directory\subdirectory which I figured would be /user/directory/subdirectory.)
At home plugged it back in, connected to wifi, installed Fdroid, installed Home Assistant app and it works as expected. I donā€™t use Fully Kiosk or anything like that, maybe try it later on another one (Yes, Iā€™ll be ordering some moreā€¦)

Really happy with what I got so far (for testing the layout etc), just need to fix some stuff to make it a bit nicer/polished.

Will use this one to see the time, pause music/movies/series (on a kodi device) if I go to the bathroom and start them again when coming back.

@pgale Thank you so much for the guide, so easy to follow and it just seemed to work for me!

3 Likes