Issue accessing subnetwork with HA

Hey,
I have issues accessing stuff on an ORBI router.
My configuration is like this :

Internet box > Switch TP Link (manageable) > Orbi router (192.168.0.2)

TP link is giving 192.168.0.XX ips (it gives 192.168.0.2 to the orbi router)

ORBI is giving 192.168.1.XX ips to stuff connected to it (Philips hue, Google home…)

Home assistant is wired on the switch (so it has 192.168.0.4 ip) , and it can’t find Hue and GH because it’s on a subnetwork …
I’ve tried to create a rule on the TP LINK so the TP Link can access subnetwork:
L3 Features > Static Route :
Destination : 192.168.1.0
Subnet : 255.255.255.0
Next hop : 192.168.0.2 (the orbi ip)

But it doesn’t work, and i dunno what to do…

Any ideas ?
Thanks

Looks like you have two routers on your network Not a good idea. The orbi devices are designed to be plug and play and cater to the no networking knowledge population. The orbi can be set up as a router or access point to another router. Unfortunately the Orbi can not do subnets or vlans. If you want this capability you will need to upgrade something like a edge router max from ubiquity. The downside to this is that the edge router will need to be configured by you. This can be a challenge if you don’t have network administration experience. And like Home Assistant the available documentation on how to set things up is a joke.

I would suggest placing you isp modem / router in pass through mode and connect the orbi directly to it.
The orbi will get the 172 address from the upstream isp device and will then give out the 192 single subnet to its clients

My internet router is in the basement (where i have my office) with the TP link. I have the orbi in the house for wifi.
It looks like i can manage VLAN on the orbi, but it’s not really what i need, isn’t it ?
I need the tp link to access what’s on the orbi, and the orbi to access what’s on the tp link
Isn’t something supposed to be done with static routes? I’m a bit lost with that stuff
Thanks for your reply :slight_smile:

1st make clear what do you want to achieve. (don’t be mix up “device location” with your goal)

use only 1 router (TP Link or Orbi), the second will set as access point (No DHCP) for wifi in your house.
Vlan is different, each Ip in your network will be able to talk inside each sub group (or Vlan), could be handy to separate iot stuff from general traffic, example sharing wifi with your mates or tenant without giving access to iot devices. HA server could be part of 2 vlan at once (and be visible to your mates/tenants).
Wired Video cam into a vlan can isolate traffic on the switch, reserving bandwith on wifi AP…

TP link is giving 192.168.0.XX ips (it gives 192.168.0.2 to the orbi router). → WHy not
ORBI is giving 192.168.1.XX ips to stuff connected to it (Philips hue, Google home…) → No if set as AP, IP going through Orbi will receive IP from TP link.
If you don’t want to change settings on your IOT, could be simpler to Ask TP Link to distribute 192.168.1.XX IP range.

Last SSID name & password is a different matter. (1 SSID per vlan)

Geographic, physical hardware & virtual and logic, could be a bit confusing concept.

two dhcp servers

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

My end goal is to add HUE and GH to HA, so i can actually manage everything with voice on GH.

I’m going to try to put ORBI in AP, as i really do not need the router features, just want the wifi in the house…I didn’t know this mode existed, i just got the orbi !

Just to make sure I understood everything :

• my TP-link is just a manageable switch, the router is from my ISP
  • “If you don’t want to change settings on your IOT, could be simpler to Ask TP Link to distribute 192.168.1.XX IP range.”
    => So both routers can distribute 192.168.1.XX ips and it can work?

Thanks again !

Put ORBI in AP, and it works perfectly. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:
Still interested in your input on the second part, to understand properly !!

Nope ! only 1 router per network to set the IP range, but IPs could be distributed through your switch and AP (orbi router in name, AP in function) as you experienced it successfully.
Sorry if I confuse you not saying your TP link do not have routing functions but relay the request to your internet provider box (router).

To finish with vLan, you understand it’s “divide and rule” formula, and work with your managed switch and wifi AP. If the first router (internet provider one) is able to do vlan, you can also set them into:

• your managed switch to served wired IPs. Remember IP can talk ONLY to other in the same vlan (logic group). 2 cat5 cables on the same switches but on different vlan will NOT be able to talk together.
  • Orbi (one SSID per vlan for wifi IPs).

Hope I am clear enough.

Yeah that make sense now. Thanks a lot for taking the time to explain it, highly appreciated :slight_smile: