Issue Connecting to esp23cam and Esp32 C3 boards: A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32-C3: No serial data received

Hi All

Last week I bought 2x Esp32-cam-Ov264 (boards A) and 1x Esp32 C3 (board B) mini dev board from a reputable seller. I have not been able to establish any comms with any of these boards.

Below is my set up that I am currently able to use to program a NodeMCU (esp8266) (board C), Esp 32 Devkit v1 (board D) and Esp32-cam-Ov264 (board E) [through a FTDI usb to serial converter]. These boards were bought from the same reseller.

The error that I am receiving is the following:

*Sketch uses 199828 bytes (15%) of program storage space. Maximum is 1310720 bytes.*

*Global variables use 9572 bytes (2%) of dynamic memory, leaving 318108 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 327680 bytes.*

*esptool.py v4.2.1*

*Serial port COM9*

*Connecting......................................*

*A fatal error occurred: Failed to connect to ESP32-C3: No serial data received.*

*For troubleshooting steps visit: https://docs.espressif.com/projects/esptool/en/latest/troubleshooting.html*

*Failed uploading: uploading error: exit status 2*

To confirm that the boards are indeed going into download mode (boot mode) I am following the steps listed below:

Having the right board name and COM por selected, do the following:

1. Open the Arduino IDE Serial Monitor*
  2. Hold-down the “BOOT” button*
  3. Press the “ENABLE” button once*
  4. Release the finger from the “BOOT” button*

Doing this I am able to program boards C, D and E and see the following output in the Arduino IDE serial monitor:

15:12:07.586 -> rst:0x1 (POWERON_RESET),boot:0x3 (DOWNLOAD_BOOT(UART0/UART1/SDIO_REI_REO_V2))

15:12:07.586 -> waiting for download

I am however not able at all to establish this with boards A and B.

Other trouble shooting action that I took include:

1. Various USB cables
  2. Programming from ESPFlasher
  3. Programming from Raspberry Pi (through ESPhome)
  4. Program with and without FTDI (through ESPhome and PC)

It would appear that these boards are not functioning, they do however show up in the device manager and show up as comm ports.

I think it would be quite the coincidence that both these boards have the same issue, so it is most likely user error.

Do you perhaps have any suggestion on additional things I could troubleshoot?